Sponsored by:

Where did you learn

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post Where did you learn

How to tune?
I would like to know where everyone has learned how to tune. Speficially EFIlive, but HPtuners also.
I have EFIlive, and i have had it since July 08 and i know how to navigate through it (some).
With in the passed week i have put an MS4 in my car for the purpose of learning how to tune with EFIlive.
Am i missing something like a manual that tells how to tune or what? I can not believe its a hit and miss.
Someone on this board is friendly enough to help me tune my car (thank you ) but i look in the history to see what he made changes to, and there was almost 75 different things and some in steps!
How do you all learn this?

Thank You!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gordon0652
How to tune?
I would like to know where everyone has learned how to tune. Speficially EFIlive, but HPtuners also.
I have EFIlive, and i have had it since July 08 and i know how to navigate through it (some).
With in the passed week i have put an MS4 in my car for the purpose of learning how to tune with EFIlive.
Am i missing something like a manual that tells how to tune or what? I can not believe its a hit and miss.
Someone on this board is friendly enough to help me tune my car (thank you ) but i look in the history to see what he made changes to, and there was almost 75 different things and some in steps!
How do you all learn this?

Thank You!
I use Hp but some where in your help section it should tell you what most of the menu's due, and their are several books that can help you out and tell you about the sensors and their function, and remeber alot to the big tuners are ex engineers that have been to years of school. But as far as my learning I get training threw a dealer and applie it to tuning, understanding what each sensor does really helps, It takes alot alot of reading and practical application, and I have also went to several training classes with Greg Banish at Calibrated Success. But I think for the most part READING.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a new book for sale that shows the tuning process in a step-by-step format along with case studies of real-world tunes. You can check it out on our website...
www.masportspeedshop.com
We'll also be introducing a new website soon that will complement the book and offer new case studies each month along with other useful info so that you can stay up to date and keep learning at your own pace. PM me if you'd like more info, or call me at the shop. (561) 338-9321 Monday-Friday 9-5 EST.
Old 12-07-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Dan - when do the "beta" guys get a crack at the production book?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
We have a new book for sale that shows the tuning process in a step-by-step format along with case studies of real-world tunes. You can check it out on our website...
www.masportspeedshop.com
We'll also be introducing a new website soon that will complement the book and offer new case studies each month along with other useful info so that you can stay up to date and keep learning at your own pace. PM me if you'd like more info, or call me at the shop. (561) 338-9321 Monday-Friday 9-5 EST.
Is this geared towards HPTuners or EFILive or is it generic?

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Jedi Master

I've learned from countless hours of documented proof and theory of concepts. Additionally I have employed Greg Banish's EFI tuning book to help me understand the more intricate of how and why.

Most importantly experience has taught me quite a bit.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TAQuickness
Dan - when do the "beta" guys get a crack at the production book?
I'll be contacting all beta testers shortly by pm or email. I'm out for the rest of the week for the PRI trade show in Orlando, but when I return, we'll get on sending out all of the orders for the beta testers. I'll be in touch soon!!
Old 12-12-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of the guys here have been tuning on these things for quite some time. I was looking at some old posts from before the days of HPtuners and EFIlive just the other day. It sure brought back some memories (not all good)! Here's my advice if you want to learn....
1. Read Read Read. Read this forum (especially stickies - one of them covers "How did you learn to tune") and try to follow along as best you can. It will start making sense.
2. When you don't understand, say so. Ask specific questions though, not "how do I tune my car for good drivability and max power". Ask things like "what does such and such table do and what are the effects of altering it?" or "What inputs does the computer use in closed loop? Open loop? Open loop speed density? Closed loop speed density?"
3. Be patient. It takes time.
4. Practice, just be careful and follow the next few steps religiously.
5. Always save your tune so you can undo what you do.
6. Change one thing at a time and then log to see what your results are.
7. Go back and read some more!

Good luck!

Last edited by itchygomey98; 12-12-2008 at 09:17 AM.