PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use a little help with what I think is surging.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could use a little help with what I think is surging.

My car when I let off the gas (it is an auto with 3500 stall verter) has a clunking. So decide to put it in to neutral while rolling to see if it did it too. Well of course it didn't but, the car acted as if was hunting for a stable place to idle. The hunting was not terrible, not to the point that it seemed like it was going to go dead. I am thinking that it is just this idle hunting causing the clunking under the car. The clunking while in car sounds as if it is coming from front of transmission.

TIA
Old 09-27-2003, 08:41 PM
10 Second Club

Default Re: I could use a little help with what I think is surging.

You can try the idle relearn procedure. I had to do it a couple with car when I first had the converter installed. Mine has "clunked" and "tinked" since I first bought it with no adverse problems.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, I think the clunking was a problem on my LOL I got home after racing a 02 ZO6 and parked the car. woke up next morning to tranny fluid running down my driveway. BTW I beat the Z. He had a boltons and he was M6.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I was told by the shop that did my original tune that the clunking is the noise from the convertor clutch locking and unlocking because of the surge.

BTW, my setup is almost same as yours (3600 Vig) with a 224 cam.

But a second opinion at another shop laughed when he said, "Yes, blame everything on the convertor. If the tune was right it wouldn't surge and clunk."

I think the second shop is right.

It's the convertor making the noise, but a good tune should virtually eliminate the surging which causes the TC to lock and unlock because the surging at 40-42 mph causes the TC to lock and unlock and you can hear it at that low speed.

We'll see when I get it tuned at the second shop.