PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i need to go sd or keep the maf?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default do i need to go sd or keep the maf?

i made this thread since either affects what intake/tb im going with. ok well i have a 383 ls1 10.5 compression probe pistons made about 451rwhp and 512rwtq. and i want to put about a 200 shot of nitrous. i heard the maf is crap at about 600fwhp is this true can i keep the maf. and with the sd tune does it need to get tweaked for the differant seasons?

and a question on the side when a tuner, tunes a motor for nitrous how does that work? since the motor is not running on nitrous all the time and its ussually 150 more for nitrous tuning.

Last edited by 383lt1impala; 12-23-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wet shot or dry. If it is wet then it will take care of itself. I hope you have wideband and some way to tune it. Like HPT or efi live. How will this effect what intake u are getting? If it is a wet shot then ur MAf will be fine. Dry will be a bit more fun. but can be done.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

put the fogger in front of the air intake sensor. u can then see a temp difference when nitrous is on and off. ok then go to your timing tables. go to intake air temp timing adjustment. soo when it sees the cold temperature from the nitrous u can then set up how much timing u want to pull out and as long as u have a wet kit tune the fuel with the jets on the fogger.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

The MAF is not crap. It is a device that is employed to measure airflow. The pcm "knows" or rather is told by software definition the displacement of the motor. The only variable left is how much airflow are you getting. Obvisouly, our Hot Rod quest for more power revolves around getting more airflow. The MAF does not have a HP limitation. The software running the MAF can only display/read ~500 grams of airflow. Typically vehicles making at or over 600rwhp are taking in more than 500g of airflow- this is where the misconception begins.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Doc
The MAF is not crap. It is a device that is employed to measure airflow. The pcm "knows" or rather is told by software definition the displacement of the motor. The only variable left is how much airflow are you getting. Obvisouly, our Hot Rod quest for more power revolves around getting more airflow. The MAF does not have a HP limitation. The software running the MAF can only display/read ~500 grams of airflow. Typically vehicles making at or over 600rwhp are taking in more than 500g of airflow- this is where the misconception begins.
some good info..... here is also something to think about. if u take 2 maf sensors one 90 and one 80mm and u do not change the ecu. lets say ur running 4000 rpm. well the smaller maf will be richer than the larger maf. because.... the engine is movin x amount of air through smaller maf in which there would be an air speed. if u take the same amount of air and put it through the larger maf the air speed would go down. with the air speed down it will have a lesser cooling affect in which will cause a lower g of airflow reading. this will cause the engine to be leaner. i've tried this on a blower car. stock maf a/f was 11.5 then with a ported maf went up to almost 14.1 a/f but what this will allow for is lets say u max out the stock maf at 500g. well then u put in a larger maf. now with the same amount of airflow it reads 420g. ok well now u would be back into your tuning range. this is how people are running bunch of boost with maf. the only time i personally like to run speed density if if someone has a good size camshaft and cylinders heads. then i like ot run speed density.