PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for installing cats? Recommendations so I don't ruin the cats?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning for installing cats? Recommendations so I don't ruin the cats?

93 LT1 396 with 230/236 cam. Idles well(800rpm), and even run ac in gear as it is an automatic, with Long Tubes, heated O2's etc.
I want to install some bullet metal substrate cats so it cleans the air a little and quits it down (yes I am getting old). But I dont want the cats to get ruined due poor tune, too rich etc. PCMFORLESS did the tune.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Certainly buy GOOD Cats. Not those El Cheapo Dynomax bullets for 150 bucks apiece.

I run Cats on all my stuff cause I don't like the stink. Have had GREAT luck with Random Technology Bullets, but they are expensive. I'm not certain the LT1s had cat overtemp protection in the software or not.

One would think if your AFR is in the 12s WOT the Cats should stay just fine. Trucks are worse because they are more weight, towing, etc. If your car is light I wouldn't worry about it. I had a 3300 lbs. car with Holley Commander 950 injection on a ZZ4 with Random Technology Cats and still runs fine 6 years later over 50,000miles, doesn't stink at all.

Just remember you get what you pay for with Cats.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks, I had planned on these Random Technologys, 7000 series. Its in a Vette, the only issue is clearance between the body and transmission (auto). I need them as close to the header collector as possible.
http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html
Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

You might want to call them to be certain they haven't disabled the Cat Over Temp section. Otherwise its possible you will burn up your new investment due to fueling. Should have a before/after cat O2 as well so you know if/when it ever becomes clogged or inactive.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSAUTOCHROME
You might want to call them to be certain they haven't disabled the Cat Over Temp section. Otherwise its possible you will burn up your new investment due to fueling. Should have a before/after cat O2 as well so you know if/when it ever becomes clogged or inactive.
I have a 93 Corvette. I upgraded to heated O2's, but I only have 2, and both are in front of the cats, if installed.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Damn missed the LT1 part. Sorry can't help. I use HPTuners. Anyhow easy fix. Just give your tune provider a call and make sure as is a-okay. PCMFORLESS is a standup business bro. They will get your fixed up no question.