Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has LS-1edit and EFILive...need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has LS-1edit and EFILive...need some answers

In 2002, B&B Electronics entered into an agreement with Starr Performace to distribute EFILive V5. Written to work with AutoTap's AT1 and AT123 hardware, EFILive has been embraced by LS1 owners as a "need to have" product. With bi-directional controls in the Pro model, users can override IAC, idle speed, gear selection, TCC lockup, Injectors, Spark advance, spark map, fuel map, AFR, Fuel mod and much more. For a complete list of EFILive's features, read on...

With all of these controls do you really need LS-1 edit, or is it that for a little more LS-1 edit gives you that and much more. I am more than a little confused. Can someone clear up some things for me. Can you log using edit? What does LS-1 edit do that EFILive can't? Who has both? Just confused I guess.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Who has LS-1edit and EFILive...need some answers

LS1Edit downloads the program which runs inside your PCM, allows you to modify it's parameter, then upload it into the pcm. These changes are permanent and can only be removed by a tuner, LS1Edit or GM's service programming system.

EFILive is a diagnostic tool that allows you to override certain operational parameters in real time, the second you disconnect EFILive the pcm goes back to standard operation.

They are totally different.

We really need a FAQ post in this section, this question comes up at least twice a month.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:14 AM
TECH Resident

If changes are not permanent then why is everyone raving about it(EFILive). Is it b/c you can save and reconnect and thus have it back to the EFILive tune? Or is it because they make the changes with EFILive to get it where they want it, then they make the changes permanent with LS1edit? It just seems to me that if like you say things are not going to stay then what is the point of EFILive? Does LS1edit not log anything and that is what EFILive is for? I am sorry to be one of the 2 a month but I have read some info and both and sadly that has not been enough to clarify anything for me, only makes me more cluster f*&ked.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

EFILive lets you experiment on the fly when dealing with a particular problem in a tune. A stumble or flatspot can be dealt with much more quickly, and even though it's only a temporary change, permanent changes can then be made with Edit. LS1 Edit does not have any scanning or logging functions so in order to get a picture of what's going on in your PCM, you'll need to get either a laptop with EFILive or Autotap or Scan Ease or a Tech 2 hand scanner.
I recently purchased EFILive5 and upgraded to version 6. EFILive6 seems to have some great tools added and is a free upgrade when you purchase ver.5.

Good luck,
Richard
Old 09-30-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like they said, efilive reads, and ls1 edit tunes, one of the big reasons I think efi live is so popular w/ the bi directional controls, is that if your scanning for a particular problem, you can make some temporary adjustments to find out exzactly whats wrong, like the ability to turn off the injectors 1 by 1 and other features too, I just recently sat with my car running after a WOT pass to monitor some things and it helped big time to just be able to turn both fans on at my finger tips, kept it below 190, the other thing is that the bi di controlls and efilive also work on all other ls1's that its plugged into, I dont beleive the bi di controlls work on anything other than ls1's though, where az ls1 edit will only work with one specific vehicle, you should plan on getting both if you want to save 80 bucks dont get efi live just get auto tap, but what the hey,
Old 09-30-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

The primary reason to get EFILive instead of Autotap is that its very fast.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, by the way. The spark and fuel overrides in EFILive are not fast enough to use on the street or drag strip, they're made for steady state dyno tuning. Which is NOT what you do on a Dynojet.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

The primary reason to get EFILive instead of Autotap is that its very fast.
Plus it doesn't crash like Atap does. Also, you have nearly unlimited customization (sp?) of your interface. Alot of cool stuff to play around with.