Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car runs for 2 secs & shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Car runs for 2 secs & shuts down

Here's the run down, I just turbo'd my car, swapped to a HPT 3 bar OS, installed Seimens Deka 55# low Z injectors, installed acceleronics versa fueler injector driver, new TR6 plugs, & FAST 3 bar MAP & adapter harness. I had Bill @ HPT look at the tune and I trust him implictly, he said the tune seems to be all in order. Now I'm starting to look at my PCM, the injector driver, and maybe the oil level sensor in the pan. Sometimes the car will run for a little longer but if I step on the accelerator at all it dies. I have been pullingmy hair out trying to figure this out and come up empty handed. Anyone deal with this problem before, or can point me in the right direction?

Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a problem similar and hose in the fuel tank going to the pump kept blowing off. its unlikely unless youve been fooling with it. but if you have a access hatch wouldnt hurt to take a peak.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
i had a problem similar and hose in the fuel tank going to the pump kept blowing off. its unlikely unless youve been fooling with it. but if you have a access hatch wouldnt hurt to take a peak.
Installed a dynotune digital fuel pressure guage for the turbo, fuel pressure was in the 60# range the whole time. Even when it died the fuel pressure was right at 50psi. Thank you though for the suggestion, I need all the input I can get right now.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

yea figured it was a long shot but thats what happend to me. it would run fine then die suddenly when you touched gas petal....good luck its always a PITA trying to find a problem.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

Could be a VATS problem maybe? If it is still enabled in your tune it will shut off the injectors after 2 seconds if it doesn't get the right value from the chip in your key.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Z28-00
yea figured it was a long shot but thats what happend to me. it would run fine then die suddenly when you touched gas petal....good luck its always a PITA trying to find a problem.

I think I may have figured it out, I made a log and the map sensor is supposed to read about 100 KPA with the key on and engine not running, mine reads o. Now I just need someone to back my theory up and try to test the map sensor in some way.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by poolshark021
Could be a VATS problem maybe? If it is still enabled in your tune it will shut off the injectors after 2 seconds if it doesn't get the right value from the chip in your key.
I asked Bill about this and he said it could be possible but very unlikley. And since then I have gotten it to run for about 10 seconds.

My big thing is the MAP reading now. With the key on & engine NOT running it should read 14.5psi = 100KPA, mine reads 0 psi until I try to crank it & then it goes 4 psi and stays there (i guess because there is still vaccum in the system).

I need to know how to test the map sensor so I can rule it out or get a new one.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Banned

Use one of the little hand vacuum pumps thet you use to bleed the brakes. Hook the 5 volts to the proper wires on it and read the output with a volt meter
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the MAF DTCs. If they are set to 3-No Error Reported it will do this. If that is the case just set it back to 2-No MIL Light and make sure the SES enable box isn't checked.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Check the MAF DTCs. If they are set to 3-No Error Reported it will do this. If that is the case just set it back to 2-No MIL Light and make sure the SES enable box isn't checked.
They appear to be fine in the file he posted on our forum...its actually the first thing I checked. Nothing in the file itself looked odd.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
I asked Bill about this and he said it could be possible but very unlikley. And since then I have gotten it to run for about 10 seconds.

My big thing is the MAP reading now. With the key on & engine NOT running it should read 14.5psi = 100KPA, mine reads 0 psi until I try to crank it & then it goes 4 psi and stays there (i guess because there is still vaccum in the system).

I need to know how to test the map sensor so I can rule it out or get a new one.
At 4 psi you have about 30% VE, it should run. Can you go back to the stock map sensor and run the stock OS just to test the rest of the tune at idle?
Originally Posted by foff667
They appear to be fine in the file he posted on our forum...its actually the first thing I checked. Nothing in the file itself looked odd.
I saw "Bill@..." and I skipped right over the HPT just thinking it was a local shop or something.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 AM
7 Second Club

my 3 bar used to read 0 until i started the car then it read correctly, i was using a normal GM 3 bar sensor..

i would say it is a vats problem, just disable it in the tune and see if the problem goes away
Old 01-01-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
my 3 bar used to read 0 until i started the car then it read correctly, i was using a normal GM 3 bar sensor..

i would say it is a vats problem, just disable it in the tune and see if the problem goes away
Like has been said before it should run for 10 seconds if it is VATS related but it's almost to easy to not check it out. According to the tune he posted on the HPT forum it is still active.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 AM
7 Second Club

running for 10sec would be fuel related..

do a log of it and post the log file
Old 01-01-2009, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks everyone for the replies, I havent turned VATS off or relinked it yet. I know its unlikely that it could be stopping the car from running but I'll try anything at this point.

I also decided that my problem may lie in the injector driver so I e-mailed tech @ acceleronics and this is what they had to say.
The VersaFueler is very easy to troubleshoot because it either works perfectly, or not at all. The ECM still controls injector pulsewidths, all the box does is convert the ECU signal into the type that can drive low impedance injectors. If the box had failed, the affected cylinders would never get any fuel.

It sounds to me as though you have either a MAF problem or a VATS problem. The fact that the engine starts with the VersaFueler means that the box is working. I had another customer chasing the same symptoms – his ended up being a problem with the ignition key.

Jeff
Usually when I have a problem like this its something I have done wrong, all I have to do is talk to Bill from HPT & he steps in and saves the day. I wish this was one of those times
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
running for 10sec would be fuel related..

do a log of it and post the log file

I dont have any logs of the thimes it ran 10 sec but here's a log of a short 2 sec start up. I have a fuel pressure guage and by the time the car dies it still has about 49 psi @ the rail. BTW how do I disable the VATS?
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
ATTEMPT2.hpl (8.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 01-01-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

All three MAF codes are set to MIL on second and the ses enable box is checked.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I dont have any logs of the thimes it ran 10 sec but here's a log of a short 2 sec start up. I have a fuel pressure guage and by the time the car dies it still has about 49 psi @ the rail. BTW how do I disable the VATS?
It's on the system tab, under security. Just take it from PWM to none.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 01-01-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Junkie

All three MAF codes are set to MIL on second and the ses enable box is checked.
SES enable should not be checked. On the file you posted on HPTuners they are unchecked, which is right.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 AM
10 Second Club

SES enable should not be checked. On the file you posted on HPTuners they are unchecked, which is right.
Yes that is correct, after having this problem I did alot of searching and realized that most problems like mine are MAF code related so I changed those 3 DTC's from no light to mil on first and checked ses enable. I've got VATS turned off now and I'll change those 3 dtc's back, flash it & post my results. Thanks

Quick Reply: Car runs for 2 secs & shuts down