Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unused PCM pins

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unused PCM pins

I'd like to connect both my fuel pressure and my windband 5v outputs to my PCM for monitoring. I know I can use the EGR for the FP, but I'm wondering if the "Not Used" pins are truely unuseable or if one or more of them can be used as a 5v input. Anyone know?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000TAPCM.PDF (301.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if the inputs are availiable, how do you expect to be able to display the signal coming in them? You better know the PCM code inside and out
Old 01-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Even if the inputs are availiable, how do you expect to be able to display the signal coming in them? You better know the PCM code inside and out
I have EFILive. The fuel pressure monitor is easy if I eliminate the EGR. The FJO WB should be similar if I can find a pin to use.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Using the EGR is easy because the pcm is already setup to use that pin with a certain pid. You can't just pick a pin without a wire going to it and start using it however you want. It has to be enabled and setup in the pcm first. The only way to hook the WB in would be to disable another sensor you weren't using. Maybe the a/c pressure sensor if your not using a/c...
Old 01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you trying to power the WBO2 with 5v?
Or simulate the NBO2 signal with the WBO2?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shoemike
Are you trying to power the WBO2 with 5v?
Or simulate the NBO2 signal with the WBO2?
Not powering the WB from the PCM, the FJO has a aux out for an external guage. I use the WB02 to disable my nitrous in lean conditions. The only purpose of connecting it to the PCM is to make monitoring with the EFILive easy. I can connect it directly to the EFI unit, but I'd prefer to use the PCM if possible.

The way I figure it, the PCM may be a more or less a generic unit that may have unused pins for my vehicle that I can use for the WB02 5v aux out. This way I can monitor both the FP and WB directly from the PCM via my EFI software.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by captainwizbang
Not powering the WB from the PCM, the FJO has a aux out for an external guage. I use the WB02 to disable my nitrous in lean conditions. The only purpose of connecting it to the PCM is to make monitoring with the EFILive easy. I can connect it directly to the EFI unit, but I'd prefer to use the PCM if possible.

The way I figure it, the PCM may be a more or less a generic unit that may have unused pins for my vehicle that I can use for the WB02 5v aux out. This way I can monitor both the FP and WB directly from the PCM via my EFI software.
You're right, there are some pins that are unused in your application. The problem is they aren't enabled in your operating system. It isn't as easy as just enabling them. Therefore you have to find another sensor that is already enabled and wire it to your WB instead of the sensor it was intended for (just like the egr).
Old 01-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by poolshark021
You're right, there are some pins that are unused in your application. The problem is they aren't enabled in your operating system. It isn't as easy as just enabling them. Therefore you have to find another sensor that is already enabled and wire it to your WB instead of the sensor it was intended for (just like the egr).
Well, that's kind of what I figured. I suppose i'll just use the aux input on the EFI unit. I don't think there is anything stock I can disable. Even the EGR is questionable since it is a requirement for my car to pass emissions.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM
FormerVendor

AC level input can be used too
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Frost
AC level input can be used too
I'll look into it, but I don't want to kill my AC.. I'd roast in the summer months.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use the EGR input on cars without it like 02. Just enable EGR but keep the codes off.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Launching!

ya, my car is a 2000 so I have an EGR. If i use it for my FP, I hope I don't get dinged when I get the car inspected. I figure it's easy enough to remove the hardware. If the visual inspection fails me, i'll just "re-install" it . I just wont hook it up.