Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttlebody Idle Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Throttlebody Idle Adjustment?

I purchased a new throttlebody (90mm MSD) and it doesn't have and idle hole just a set screw and of course no instructions. So my question is how do i adjust the screw to make the car idle properly? Help would be greatly appreatated!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Launching!

come on some one has to know
Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is going on your LS1, then the ECM will take care of the idle so long as the IAC valve is functioning properly and connected.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

While the previous poster is somewhat correct, it's not the full story. The IAC motor will attempt to change position, but if the default position of the set screw is too far off either way, it will go out of range and be unable to compensate.

You need a tune to go to a 90mm TB, since some table will be messed up. After attaching TB and correcting the tables, monitor your IAC steps. It should be somewhere below 100. I've seen recommendations for cammed cars in the 50-60 range, but I think slightly higher is fine. Once dialed in, shut the car off. Unplug the TPS connector. Put key in ignition and turn on (not start) for about a minute. Turn key off and plug TPS back in. This should reset the sensor. Monitor TPS and TPS voltage. TPS should be 0% and voltage should be under 1.25 volts.

That should be it.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nj02vette
While the previous poster is somewhat correct, it's not the full story. The IAC motor will attempt to change position, but if the default position of the set screw is too far off either way, it will go out of range and be unable to compensate.

You need a tune to go to a 90mm TB, since some table will be messed up. After attaching TB and correcting the tables, monitor your IAC steps. It should be somewhere below 100. I've seen recommendations for cammed cars in the 50-60 range, but I think slightly higher is fine. Once dialed in, shut the car off. Unplug the TPS connector. Put key in ignition and turn on (not start) for about a minute. Turn key off and plug TPS back in. This should reset the sensor. Monitor TPS and TPS voltage. TPS should be 0% and voltage should be under 1.25 volts.

That should be it.
Thank you i will give it a shot!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nj02vette

That should be it.
This procedure is done mainly when someone takes apart a throttlebody and does not line up the throttle blade properly. All Throttle body units purchased new have been calibrated to allow the throttle blade to shut as completely as possible without sticking to the body. Altering this can cause undesired results (sticking throttle body blade or having too far open and setting a code). If the ECM can't control the idle via the IAC, it will use spark timing to regulate the idle to the programmed RPM. I have seem several cars with IAC stuck at a value and timing on idle being -5 degree and it idle at the programmed value. Once the correction of the IAC valve was shut off and the spark corerction also (via the scanner) the idle would shoot up to 1500rpms. These are the facts, install the Throttle body and have is scanned to see if you need to make proper adjustments. If it is new, you shouldn't have to touch the throttle body set screw (hence the name)

Quick Reply: Throttlebody Idle Adjustment?