Catalyst & Evap not ready, need help! - LS1TECH

Log In 


PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | AutoTap | Diablo | MAF Translator | HPP3 | FAST | Gen7 | Big Stuff 3
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalyst & Evap not ready, need help!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default Catalyst & Evap not ready, need help!

So I can't seem to get my truck to pass emissions due to the fact the catalyst and evap systems come up as not ready.

My truck is a 2004 that originally came with a 4.8L but now has a 6.0L. I also have aftermarket cats which I put on over a year ago. I haven't had any DTC's since I changend the cats so I don't think they are causing any problems.

I have completed the GM drive cycle many times as per the recommendation but I still won't pass.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
On The Tree
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0 View Post
So I can't seem to get my truck to pass emissions due to the fact the catalyst and evap systems come up as not ready.

My truck is a 2004 that originally came with a 4.8L but now has a 6.0L. I also have aftermarket cats which I put on over a year ago. I haven't had any DTC's since I changend the cats so I don't think they are causing any problems.

I have completed the GM drive cycle many times as per the recommendation but I still won't pass.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Set the catalyst and evaporative purge canister DTCs set to not reported. You'll need tuning software or will need to find someone who can reflash your truck.
ryansm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansm1 View Post
Set the catalyst and evaporative purge canister DTCs set to not reported. You'll need tuning software or will need to find someone who can reflash your truck.
I tune with CMR so I have access to those parameters. My question is what number do I put in nest to the OBD II tests that I need to modify?
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
On The Tree
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0 View Post
I tune with CMR so I have access to those parameters. My question is what number do I put in nest to the OBD II tests that I need to modify?
I am not sure what you are asking (numbers to put in next to OBDII tests?), but if you'll set the processing enablers for DTC P0420, P0430, P0440, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, and P1441 to "not reported" or "X", the EPA tests should all report as passed/completed.
ryansm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansm1 View Post
I am not sure what you are asking (numbers to put in next to OBDII tests?), but if you'll set the processing enablers for DTC P0420, P0430, P0440, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, and P1441 to "not reported" or "X", the EPA tests should all report as passed/completed.
You can put 0, 1, 2, or 3 next to the OBD II code that you are modifying. I just don't know what each number means? I am using CMR by the way.

I found every code but P0440 and P1441.

Last edited by Turbo 6.0; 01-13-2009 at 12:00 AM.
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
On The Tree
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0 View Post
You can put 0, 1, 2, or 3 next to the OBD II code that you are modifying. I just don't know what each number means? I am using CMR by the way.

I found every code but P0440 and P1441.
Sorry, I thought CMR might have been a shop or something you had access to. My mistake.

There are four conditions: not reported, non-emissions, emissions-related one trip failure, and emissions-related two trip failure. I would guess that the numbers 0-3 correspond in that order, or in the opposite order.

What do you have for those codes currently? If you can't tell, try all zeroes or all threes. If you have the ability to check the readiness tests before going in for inspection, the guess-and-check method isn't so bad.
ryansm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #7
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansm1 View Post
Sorry, I thought CMR might have been a shop or something you had access to. My mistake.

There are four conditions: not reported, non-emissions, emissions-related one trip failure, and emissions-related two trip failure. I would guess that the numbers 0-3 correspond in that order, or in the opposite order.

What do you have for those codes currently? If you can't tell, try all zeroes or all threes. If you have the ability to check the readiness tests before going in for inspection, the guess-and-check method isn't so bad.
In HP tuners it is in the opposite order as you described so I think it's the same in CMR (Chipmaster Revolution). BTW CMR is the tuning program that works with the diablosport hand held tuner.

I will put a 3 in the codes you mentioned so that the code is not reported. All of those codes currently have a 1 so I assume it's a one trip faliure.
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Orlando
Posts: 6,157
Default

0=MIL ON after first key on failure 1=MIL ON after second key on failure 2=NO MIL Light 3=No Error Reported

This is what I understand the DTC functions to be, but I always just change the stock value to a 3 to disable the function.

Ryan
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
TECH Resident
iTrader: (17)
 
ZL1Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NC - Charlotte area
Posts: 3,746
Default

you will want 3 for EVERYTHING. MIL status, DTC... make sure you get EVERYTHING. I ran into this and had to find those stragglers that my eyes didn't catch the first time
ZL1Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
0=MIL ON after first key on failure 1=MIL ON after second key on failure 2=NO MIL Light 3=No Error Reported

This is what I understand the DTC functions to be, but I always just change the stock value to a 3 to disable the function.

Ryan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Killa View Post
you will want 3 for EVERYTHING. MIL status, DTC... make sure you get EVERYTHING. I ran into this and had to find those stragglers that my eyes didn't catch the first time
I entered 3 in for all codes pertaining to the rear o2 sensors and evap. Loaded the tune and as soon as I started the scanner the cataylist was complete! Evap still wasn't complete but I can have 1 incomplete test and still pass. I did just change the fuel tank pressure high and low voltage codes to 3 in hopes that the evap will complete but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks again to everyone that helped!
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
On The Tree
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo 6.0 View Post
Evap still wasn't complete but I can have 1 incomplete test and still pass.
Even though it doesn't matter, there are probably some codes for the evap that are in your OS but aren't in mine. If you can look through the list, I'm sure you'll find them.
ryansm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
TECH Regular
Thread Starter
 
Turbo 6.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 465
Default

Well I inserted a 3 into all of the codes pertaining to the EVAP and the rear O2 sensors and it passed emmissions!

Thanks again to everyone that helped. This is a big weight off my shoulders.
Turbo 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Catalyst Not Ready gmantheman PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 0 05-29-2016 10:39 AM
OBD2 Monitor Readiness Headahce LTKNT101 Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 6 12-30-2015 11:02 PM
OBDII evap not completing HuggerOSS99 PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 2 07-08-2015 02:56 PM
Evap and catalyst not ready! Bossds333 Generation III External Engine 3 08-31-2011 08:57 PM
NOT READY status for state inspection -- need help!!!! Glenn98ZM6 PCM Diagnostics & Tuning 11 03-30-2003 07:32 PM


Tags
2005, catalyst, cycle, disable, disabling, drive, dtc, emission, evap, gmc, ii, mil, obd, pass, ready

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.