Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get my car smoged

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cant get my car smoged

What does bank one, sensor one 02 heater mean? I reset the codes and take it to smog place, But then wont test it?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It means your front O2 sensor on the driver's side is getting old. Replace it and then allow the car to complete the readiness test. By resetting the ECM, you set yourself up to fail the smog test. The smog test requires the readiness test to be as complete as possible.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 12secSS
It means your front O2 sensor on the driver's side is getting old. Replace it and then allow the car to complete the readiness test. By resetting the ECM, you set yourself up to fail the smog test. The smog test requires the readiness test to be as complete as possible.
How long dors it take to get ready? I was told to put some drive cycles on it. The service engine will stay off for weeks. Can I put some miles on it, and test it if the light stays off? BTW thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't recall specifically, but it is in the archives if you search. It really depends on how you drive your car and how often. It shouldn't be more then a week if you drive it everyday. If you replace the O2, the light will stay off. If you did not, then it has already tripped the code, but it has not had a reason to turn on the light. If scanned it will show up on the emission test and cause a failure again. Do you have a scanner that you can use to check for codes?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html
Old 01-14-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 12secSS
I can't recall specifically, but it is in the archives if you search. It really depends on how you drive your car and how often. It shouldn't be more then a week if you drive it everyday. If you replace the O2, the light will stay off. If you did not, then it has already tripped the code, but it has not had a reason to turn on the light. If scanned it will show up on the emission test and cause a failure again. Do you have a scanner that you can use to check for codes?
I have one of those predator things, I can check codes and erase them. Is that the same thing?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Okay reading this I can complete a drive cycle in 15 min. I have put over a hundred miles since yesterday and the srevice engine is still off. Do you think I can take it back to be tested now?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not so much the miles, but the number of cycles/checks on cold starts. It might be ready, might not. If you're not pressed to get the inspection done I'd run it for a few more days. Not familiar with inspections, don't have them here. If they don't charge for a retest wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
It's not so much the miles, but the number of cycles/checks on cold starts. It might be ready, might not. If you're not pressed to get the inspection done I'd run it for a few more days. Not familiar with inspections, don't have them here. If they don't charge for a retest wouldn't hurt to try.
Inspections? I am So Cal just like you. Might need a tune also.