Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Programmable Digital 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD Programmable Digital 7

Just got this months Hot Rod Magazine and there was an article about the MSD Programmable Digital 7. Heres a run down of its features as listed in the article.

Rev Limits: Four seperate rev limits can be set for burnout, launch, max rpm, and spool-up for turbo cars prior to burnout.

Rev Limit Curve: Allows user to map an rpm-limiting curve based on time, in 100-rpm increments from 0.01 seconds up to 12.50 seconds.

RPM Slew: Provides an rpm-limited function based on a ratio between eninge rpm and time resulting in a programmable rate of acceleration for each gear.

Start Retard: Reduces starter load with high-compression engines by retarding timing up to 25 degrees; automatically engages below 500 rpm and deactivates about 800 rpm.

Launch Retard: Time-based retard can be programmed from 0 to 15 degrees in 0.1 dgree increments from 0 to 2.5 seconds.

Step Retards: Up to three retards can be activated either at preset rpm points or when 12 volts are applied to activation wire.

Gear Retards: Up to six different timing curves can be programmed for 800 to 12,500 rpm in 0.1 degree increments for every 100 rpm.

Boost Retard: Timing retard curve can be programmed to retard 0 to 25 degrees from 2 psi to 45 psi in 0.1 degree increments.

Gear Shift Advance: Advances timing during shift to keep combustion temperatures consistent.

Individual Cylinder Timing: Retards timing up to 10 degrees in 0.1 degree increments for each cylinder to compensate for cylinder-to-cylinder combustion variations.

RPM/Time/Pressure Switch: Allows ignition to activate a circuit based on time delay in 0.1 second increments, manifold pressure in 0.25 psi increments from 2 to 45 psi, or rpm from 800 to 12,500 rpm in 100-rpm increments.

Shift Light: Allows separate rpm points to be set for launch, each gear, and the rpm drop the ignition recognizes as a shift between each gear.

From what I could understand from the article it basically uses your ignition timing to act as a form of traction control. Sounds pretty cool. It supposidly works so good that NHRA and IHRA have banned its use in their Professional and Sportsman classes. Now I know almost nothing about ignition systems and was wonder if this system would work for LS1/LS6 powered cars? Or will it work with pretty much any setup? I saw they had it hooked up to what looked like a SN95 or newer Mustang so it will work for EFI cars. I say go pick up a copy of Hot Rod magazine and check out the article and get a subcription to Hot Rod, jesus its only $12 a year.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: MSD Programmable Digital 7

I think it only works with single coil ignition systems.