PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will hooking up O2 sensors incorrectly hurt my PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question Will hooking up O2 sensors incorrectly hurt my PCM?

Hey guys, I need two front O2 sensors to complete my swap into my '69 Chevy C10. Here's the thing, I have to GM Bosch O2 sensors from a LS1 Camaro. Of course they have the wrong O2 harness connectors for my '03 LM7 5.3 swap. Luckly I happened to get some of the correct harness connector ends from another board member to splice onto my Camaro O2 sensors. I have already swapped the connector ends in the order pattern that the harness wires are for the stock o2 sensors intended for my engine by going to the parts store and noting the wiring harness color pattern (2 white, 1 gray, & 1 black) and re-connecting them in the order of the stock LM7 sensors.

Do all GM OBII type O2 sensors have the same wiring colors? I assume the two white wires are the same thing. Does it matter on the white wires which one goes where as long as another white wire was there before? (not sure if that made sense...)

Here's my question. A buddy got me scared when he said that the PCM would get fried/damaged if the wires weren't in the correct order. Is this true? I know I have the black, gray, and white wires connected in the same pattern as the correct sensors, but I want to know just incase.

I would just buy two brand new sensors, but I am flat outta cash for this swap and will be for awhile.

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The white wires are for the O2 heater circuits- not connected to the PCM and not of any particular polarity. As long as you have the gray/black wires hooked up correctly, you're good..............

Bird
Old 01-24-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Bird is correct. And I think the worst that will happen if you wire it wrong is you will blow a fuse and set some fault codes.

Maybe this will help reassure you:

http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...sorInstall.pdf