Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a TSP 228 cam in 99 transam

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning a TSP 228 cam in 99 transam

Have a 99 Transam t56 What is a base timing tune for a Texas Speed 228/228 .588/.588 112 lobe camshaft? Main things that are done is Cam, Pacesetter Longtubes, Ramair-SLP lid, Ported-Descreened MAF and Flowmaster. Looking for the timing in degree, like +4 or +2 or something... Anyone have a close to the same setup? Thanks
Old 01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'd start by putting a stock MAF on and save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
i'd start by putting a stock MAF on and save yourself a lot of headaches.
You tell him what's up. HA.

Originally Posted by LS1 Transam
Have a 99 Transam t56 What is a base timing tune for a Texas Speed 228/228 .588/.588 112 lobe camshaft? Main things that are done is Cam, Pacesetter Longtubes, Ramair-SLP lid, Ported-Descreened MAF and Flowmaster. Looking for the timing in degree, like +4 or +2 or something... Anyone have a close to the same setup? Thanks
What the hell are you asking? +4, +2? I can only assume that you're wanting to add timing, but for that you need to know what you have now. And adding timing doesn't always mean that you're gonna make more power.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the book
http://www.thetuningbook.com/
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

What I'm wanting to know is when having the pcm tuned for a cam swap how would I determine about what timing it needs to be? It really has nothing to do with my MAF I'm thinking that with a 228 with a 112lsa I need to have it tuned for better power, I have been told it's 2+ to 4+ advanced timing. Maybe nobody knows about timing...
Old 01-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned

What I'm wanting to know is when having the pcm tuned for a cam swap how would I determine about what timing it needs to be? It really has nothing to do with my MAF I'm thinking that with a 228 with a 112lsa I need to have it tuned for better power, I have been told it's 2+ to 4+ advanced timing. Maybe nobody knows about timing...

Spend the money on the book, Dan did a great job of explaining it. It would take several pages of posts to explain the right way to do your tune. There is more then just the cam to take in to consideration. Every motor is differant, there is no one size fits all, if there was, you could buy pretuned PCM's from summit and jegs, when you buy your parts
Old 01-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Teching In

I understand that completely, I've heard you can have it tuned a +2 or +4 timing and atleast be closer on having it tuned than to have it a stock tune still.. And besides all that if I'm wanting it 100% excellent tune I'd take it and have it dyno tuned, Is that easier to understand? Thanks anyways guys.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

I understand that completely, I've heard you can have it tuned a +2 or +4 timing and atleast be closer on having it tuned than to have it a stock tune still.. And besides all that if I'm wanting it 100% excellent tune I'd take it and have it dyno tuned, Is that easier to understand? Thanks anyways guys.
Unless you're going to data log it, you're taking a big chance of ruining something. If you're going to take a crap shoot at it, there is no fixed amount of timing to add, you have to slowly advance it, until your have the knock sensors retard it and them back it off.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:17 AM
Teching In

So just leave it stock tuned and It'll just run a little choppy? Guess that wont hurt anything?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Banned

I'd get a somebody that can log it or get some equipment to do it yourself. you wasted your money on the cam and other upgrades if you're not going to tune PCM to use them.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Anyone know a company that used to be called PCMamerica ran by a guy named Jeff robert? Now known as http://www.autocomputertech.com/ and another website http://www.musclesportsandimports.com/ When I first got my computer and tune it was from him, I just sent it in my pcm before I done this 4l60e to t56 swap and 2:73 to 3:73 swap and he hasn't sent my pcm back or responded to my emails or phone calls, it's been almost a month that he has had it, I WOULD NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HIM, But I have now bought a new PCM and this place doesn't do the advanced tuning like for the cam, but when Jeff robert did the tune he sent it to someone(Don't know who) and they did the advanced tune for my cam and It was running nicely. So Since this guy doesn't do the advanced tuning, he said I can give him a timing that I'd like to do and he could be closer than a stock tune.. But I can't figure out how the other guy had it tuned like he did without having my car and everything, all I did was give him the specs for my cam, and everything else I had done and I got a good tune, which I had for 2 years(before this t56 swap)
Old 01-25-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Junkie

To know what timing it wants you'll have to play with it. The real reason for tuning is getting the fuel right.

What are you using to tune with?
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I'm buying a PCM new and having it tuned to my vin+ gears, t56 swap and all the things I listed to the company, including my cam specs, but he told me I would have to have it dyno tuned to get the tune perfect.. But what I'm saying is how did I get a PCM from this other guy and It get tuned for my cam, ect... and it run so good? If that was a guess it was a really good guess. As far as me tuning it I don't have a tuner at all. I'm just trying to figure out about what I need to have it tuned to.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Most mail order tuners have seen and done so much that they have tunes laying around that are near perfect for what you need. Just change a few things to make it yours and send it out.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Teching In

So you have a tuner that tunes pcms like that you would recommend, So far Jeff Robert is not sending my PCM back and I don't recommend him. Thanks for the help
Old 01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

No I don't. That's why I started doing it myself.

Do a search for mail order tunes in this section. You should find a few different names. Then search their name and see what you find.

I should also say that tuning the car in person is the best way to get it perfect. You just can't always trust that the actual person doing the tuning is gonna pull that off.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will have to play with timing a bit to get it right, for low RPM driveability as well as WOT. For WOT, I would start out at about 24 - 26 degrees.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I'm wanting to know is when having the pcm tuned for a cam swap how would I determine about what timing it needs to be?
Put it on a steady state dyno, or run it at the track.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also trying to understand your question, but perhaps this will help.

If you are referring to WOT tuning and whether you need to add timing to those areas to take advantage of the 228 higher rpm power band, the answer is probably not.

Timing adjustments at WOT come last when tuning a car with a new cam.

90% of the grief comes at idle. Getting it to start and idle. It has to get enough air, and because of the higher idle MAP (less vacuum), they usually initially idle rich.

It will be your WOT fueling AFR that will probably determine most of your power gains. The suggestion for 24-26 degrees of timing at WOT would be a reasonable suggestion until you can get the car on a dyno.

I would strongly suggest a professional and reputable tuning shop equipped with a dyno. Think of tuning like making a cake..first you need sugar, flour, eggs, and oil. Timing adjustments (like +2 or +4) is like the icing. It comes last..after you make all the initial tuning adjustments.

Not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to point you in the direction that will give you a proper tune quicker and with less aggravation.

Good luck.

..WeathermanShawn..

Quick Reply: Tuning a TSP 228 cam in 99 transam