Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning foe bracket racing consistency

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning foe bracket racing consistency

What should I think about doing, ie when using H/P Tuner for a car with bolt-ons that is used for bracket racing? Thanks
Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is really nothing different about tuning a car for bracket racing - except, once you tune it before the season starts, don't change anything about the car or tune!! Several years ago, I had my car running mid 11's NA and bracket raced it every week - it was dead consistent for the given conditions... meaning that I kept track of the weather conditions because that was really the only variable.

The easiest way to do that is to buy a weather station (Jegs or Summit) that you input your runs into and it records them along with the weather conditions at the moment. Then you just ask it what you should dial, and it bases your dial off of the library of runs you have put in and the weather. You can do this manually as well by keeping a log and using a barometer/thermometer - but the weather station is much more accurate and easier...

One thing I will add - for this to work well, you need to have a suspension setup that dead hooks the car all of the time regardless of track conditions. That is why when I was bracket racing, I spent my money on suspension parts instead of making the car go faster.

Also, a trans cooler is a must... and get the car up to operating temperature before every run - don't try to keep it cold to go faster - you will never be consistent like that...
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM
On The Tree

Everything Blk02 said plus - never tune to the 'ragged edge' - a couple of tenths richer and a couple of degrees less timing will greatly aid in consistency and be more stable against changing conditions / fuel / etc. Once you have that, it's all in the suspension setup...............

Bird
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running race gas or just pump? If you are running race, one thing you can do is ditch the IAT Retard. That will throw your consistancy way off.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Performaire weather/et predictor, I'm running Sunoco 93, I have all the susp stuff (car hooks) and my 60s are consistent..usually 1.60-62..and I run at the same h2o temp each time (except for the late rounds when I can't cool down in the summer).
My question was really centered around if I do get a tune what should I look out for if my goal is consistency? Also, why would a trans cooler help with consistency?
Thanks guys for the tips.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by omcar
I have a Performaire weather/et predictor, I'm running Sunoco 93, I have all the susp stuff (car hooks) and my 60s are consistent..usually 1.60-62..and I run at the same h2o temp each time (except for the late rounds when I can't cool down in the summer).
My question was really centered around if I do get a tune what should I look out for if my goal is consistency? Also, why would a trans cooler help with consistency?
Thanks guys for the tips.
The trans cooler along with a deep pan will keep trans fluid temps consistent, which keeps ETs more consistent.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

gotcha..I do have a deep pan..now for the trans cooler
Old 02-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Teching In

a weather station is a must - so is lots of practice - have a race next weekend - try and hit up some t&t the week before - granted each day is different but if you are consistent that weekend it is a good chance it will be consistent the next weekend

we also found that when we pooch the car out of the hole works a lot better - more consistent times when the car just goes then takes off
this isnt heads up where that lost time on the 60' will kill you - however if you spin on the launch kiss that round good bye

cant count how many times people have lost because they have a small tire slick and the car spins on launch and the run is basically thrown away - had they set the launch lower it would of hooked and got them that consistent et
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Juiced6..when you say "pooched" the car out of the hole you are referrig to lowering the rpm?
Old 02-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Teching In

pretty much - we could launch the nova at 4500+ but is normally leaves at 3800 - it is very slow out of the gate especially with a big tire - but our 60' times are pretty identical every time

each car is different - but if you are making big hp with a smaller slick - i wouldnt rev it too high if you are just bracket racing

Quick Reply: Tuning foe bracket racing consistency