PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/cam install, where to start baseline?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head/cam install, where to start baseline?

I just finished a complete rebuild of my motor, as well as installing a tr230 and set of milled 243 heads. Compression is around 11.5:1. I am wondering if I need to do anything to the tune before I fire the motor up. I think it would run leaner due to more airflow, but how much? Hastings says to seat the piston rings by warming the motor up to operating temp, then take it out and go wot from 35-55 and back down (with trans locked in gear) for around 20 miles. I am worried about running it wot out of the box with it too lean. On the other hand if I add fuel to the tune I run the risk of running too rich and damaging the rings before they get seated. I can always monitor the wideband while going wot and letting off if it gets too lean. Your thoughts and opinions?
Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not for the initial fire up, but it is recommended to get a tune as soon as possible with a cam
Old 02-14-2009, 06:14 AM
12 Second Club

I am tuning it myself. I am not sure if I should change the ve table a little before intial fire or not. In the efi live autove tutorial it says to add 15% to the entire table before logging data. I am thinking I should do this before I start wot runs just to be on the safe side. Then I would have to closely monitor the wideband data while driving and let off if anything looks too lean.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Teching In

You might want to take your fog lights out & run ducks into the engine,plus a h.d. Radiator. It sure help mine, and i have, some material ready in fender 2 block bad storms. Floods.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Streetsharkls1
You might want to take your fog lights out & run ducks into the engine,plus a h.d. Radiator. It sure help mine, and i have, some material ready in fender 2 block bad storms. Floods.
WTF