PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to have multiple tunes

Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to have multiple tunes

Tried searching couldnt find much, maybe it was the words I was using when searching.

Anyways I recently switched from ford to gm. We call it a flip chip, what it does is hold multiple tunes and you just turn the switch to the one you want.

How do you gm people do it? I just want a motor tune and spray tune.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

check http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop/home.php
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

i know what you are talking about with the flip chips, but as far as i know, nothing comparable has been produced for our pcm's, so most people have to just run a n2o tune all the time, and sacrifice motor performance
Old 02-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Disturbed Bird
Went to that link, found nothing about multiple tunes. Just a bunch of nitrous parts.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason for multiable tunes is the lack of the ability to flash the earlier ECM's. With flash PCM's you don't need it, since you can flash a new OS on your PCM without the need of an Eprom burner or multiable chips. If you want to have 2 differant OS's you should be able to use a handheld to load them
Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a handheld tuner, such as a SCT Xcalibrator 2 or X3 device, they will both hold 3 custom tunes, and store your stock tune.

Ryan
Old 02-16-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Most use a software package, such as EFI Live or HPTuners, and create multiple situation-specific tunes. Then flash the particular tune you want and you are good to go. It can also be fine-tuned along the way. The software solution also allows you to keep your stock tune if you ever need it as a reference, and archive your tunes off line in case the PC ever crashes.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

^^^^^ PLUS 1

EFI Live FTMFW

Hptuners would work too.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

With Efilive custom OS5, you can have a tune what with a switch hooked up the the PCM, it will remove timing and add fuel for N2O. All completely customizable with the tuning software.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i kind of have multiple tunes available at the flick of a switch.

i have an auto, so with the shift tables, i rigged up a button that switches over to my customized "performance mode" tables that otherwise would never be used on fbodies. you can try searching for performance mode switch or something like that. it has been discussed here.

as for nitrous. i use a dry kit. generally speaking on dry kits, when nitrous hits the MAF wires, it reads as a higher amount of airflow (g/cyl) than you would ever see during NA use. you can tune that section of the table with the higher airflow specific for nitrous use.

to further dial it in, i don't use the maf to read nitrous, i use the harris speed works interface (which basically IS a flip chip). again, when the nitrous is activated, it reads in the hgiher airflow sections of the table and so fine tuning that will not interfere with my NA tune.
as far as the interface goes... when you activate the nitrous, it adds fuel and subtracts timing. you can specify just how much timing/fueling adjustment you want using the switches on the unit.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

There is a company over here that modifies the pcm to use a switchable tune option. Check out this link http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/showthre...witchable+tune .
Personally I use Efilive COS5 as it is a much more cost effective option.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Seems silly for the cost, when you could put a roadrunner on the pcm board for that price, (too bad there is not a switch you could use on there, it already has the 2 banks of ram needed to switch back and forth)

Ryan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to have multiple tunes