PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok here's my problem. Do I order a handheld or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ok here's my problem. Do I order a handheld or not?

I have heard so much back and forth information on the so called "canned tunes" and I need to know what it is I'll be ordering here. I have a near stock configuration and am adding a lid for now. All I want to know is the diablosport handheld worth my purchasing or not. I will be using it to read codes, and hopefully optimize my stock tune (with pre-loaded predator tune) for some increases in power, throttle response, and maybe even a little mpg? Do these things actually work? Will I notice any real world benefits and improvements? I'd like to see a 20 rwhp gain from the lid combined with the tune, is this possible? Thanks in advance for all those who answer, and I prefer objective answers here from actual users of this device, not simply opinions based on hearsay.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

honestly from my point of view, if your getting into modding your car, and have plans for future modding, save some money and get some tuning software. handhelds are $350+ and really dont do much. i've built, sold, and played with tons of f-bodys and i finally just got HPTuners, i wish i would have got this software from day 1. its bad ***. learning is a challenge, but its not as bad as you would think. that would be my advice to you.

if this will be your only f-body, and you arent doing any other mods than a lid, then a handheld might be a better choice for you.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
honestly from my point of view, if your getting into modding your car, and have plans for future modding, save some money and get some tuning software. handhelds are $350+ and really dont do much. i've built, sold, and played with tons of f-bodys and i finally just got HPTuners, i wish i would have got this software from day 1. its bad ***. learning is a challenge, but its not as bad as you would think. that would be my advice to you.

if this will be your only f-body, and you arent doing any other mods than a lid, then a handheld might be a better choice for you.

Thanks man, I may do more mods over the next couple years, but right now just a lid. I was just wondering if I would notice any difference with a predator tune? Faster, better launches, something. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the Predator tunes, through the reduction of TM and improved timing and fueling will make the car much more responsive (especially if it is an A4).

You can expect gains inthe +15 rwhp neighborhood on an otherwise stock F-body, plus you'll have the ability to add or remove timing at WOT, fuel, change rev limits, alter idle speed, add or reduce line pressure, and full shift point control.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
Thanks man, I may do more mods over the next couple years, but right now just a lid. I was just wondering if I would notice any difference with a predator tune? Faster, better launches, something. Thanks again.
Buying tuning software,

Like EFI-Live or HP-Tuners is all well and good. It's wonderful stuff, but takes years of dedicated work to understand it well. In all honesty most struggle with it.

The Predator was tested independently in a book entitled "Dyno-Proven GM LS1 thru LS7 Performance Parts."

They took a stock 2000 Camaro SS and ran it on a chassis dyno. It gave 307rwhp and 320lb-ft
After using the hand-held tuner the numbers went to 329rwhp and 335lb-ft.
They said they noticed the difference behind the wheel.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sid447
Buying tuning software,

Like EFI-Live or HP-Tuners is all well and good. It's wonderful stuff, but takes years of dedicated work to understand it well. In all honesty most struggle with it.

The Predator was tested independently in a book entitled "Dyno-Proven GM LS1 thru LS7 Performance Parts."

They took a stock 2000 Camaro SS and ran it on a chassis dyno. It gave 307rwhp and 320lb-ft
After using the hand-held tuner the numbers went to 329rwhp and 335lb-ft.
They said they noticed the difference behind the wheel.
Wow, thats interesting, I have never seen that book or the results of that test...but GMHTP did a similar write up, but compared several handheld tuners, all on the same car, and we did very well there too!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok that pretty much sums up my questions folks. Thanks so much for taking the time to point a newb in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the diff between the diablosport and the diablosportII? It's a lot more money for one . But what advantages?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

The book Sid447 was talking about is available at most bookstores. It is called "Dyno-Proven GM LS1 Thru Ls7 Performance Parts and seems to be a good book. It does shown good gains for the Diablosport tunes.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just glad I joined this site and thanks again for all the advice and help guys. This site could save me a lot of money and time and help me spend the money I do spend in the right places.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I hear things like "it can lean up the fueling a little to increase power" it scares me a little. Is this safe and ok for the vehicle, will it cause engine wear faster with such a tune?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

When I hear things like "it can lean up the fueling a little to increase power" it scares me a little. Is this safe and ok for the vehicle, will it cause engine wear faster with such a tune?
It gives you the ability to add or remove fuel. If you are not comfortable doing so, simply don't mess with it, just install the tune and go.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

What is the diff between the diablosport and the diablosportII? It's a lot more money for one . But what advantages?
Generally when I see reference to the Diablosport Predator II, it is referring to the SLP Predators, which are pre loaded with tunes they have designed to work with their Power Pacs.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Launching!

A lot of the stock factory calibrations run as rich as 10 or 11:1 afr's when in Power Enrichment mode.
This is deliberate for cat protection, to stop them overheating. Though it errs on the safe side as there's no real need to go much lower than 12.5:1 really.
So this is probably what's meant by the quoted statement.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sid447
A lot of the stock factory calibrations run as rich as 10 or 11:1 afr's when in Power Enrichment mode.
This is deliberate for cat protection, to stop them overheating. Though it errs on the safe side as there's no real need to go much lower than 12.5:1 really.
So this is probably what's meant by the quoted statement.
Ok thanks for clearing that up.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Generally when I see reference to the Diablosport Predator II, it is referring to the SLP Predators, which are pre loaded with tunes they have designed to work with their Power Pacs.

Thanks
Mike
Ok, that makes sense since it was their site I was considering ordering a lid from and happen to see that tuner. I was wondering why it seemed so much more costly Well in that case, since I don't really have a power pack to speak of *(dual dual exhaust, slp lid is all I have from them) I may as well save myself the greenbacks and go with the conventional predator tuner that I've heard so many good reviews about. Thanks again, I will be visiting your page/site, unless of course I can buy from you direct here on LS1tech?

Thanks again,

Steph
Old 03-20-2009, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok, that makes sense since it was their site I was considering ordering a lid from and happen to see that tuner. I was wondering why it seemed so much more costly Well in that case, since I don't really have a power pack to speak of *(dual dual exhaust, slp lid is all I have from them) I may as well save myself the greenbacks and go with the conventional predator tuner that I've heard so many good reviews about. Thanks again, I will be visiting your page/site, unless of course I can buy from you direct here on LS1tech?

Thanks again,

Steph
No, we do not sell direct, but there are plenty of Vendors here that carry the Predator and will be happy to help you out.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-20-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
No, we do not sell direct, but there are plenty of Vendors here that carry the Predator and will be happy to help you out.

Thanks
Mike

Oh I see, I have never bought anything here yet so I'm still learning the ins and outs. I have to admit, I actually thought you were a vendor lol My bad. Thanks again.