Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded P0351 & P0358

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dreaded P0351 & P0358

I'm getting these codes and really feel I have a problem. I recently swapped to a 2000 PCM from my 98 and repinned everything. Unfortunately when I run the car... it won't even idle and I get the two codes (P0351 and P0358). I have EFILive so I know what each code means, but would anybody have any idea where to start with this issue?

Would a coil being bad cause this? Could I try swapping a different coil and see if it makes any difference? My grounds are perfectly fine... I haven't tested for continuity or voltage yet, but I'm willing to try just about anything at this point. Definitely frustrating as I can't do anything with the car as it will not stay running, and I'd really like to fix this so I can eliminate it as the possible reason as to why it won't stay running. Just doesn't make sense that these would be the only two wiring issues after swapping the PCM. Ugh. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those coil circuits use a PPL and a PPL/WHT wire. Those color wires are used for other circuits in both connectors. My guess is you have some wires not in their right location.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I verified them both, and they are both in the right spot. I'm assuming it can't be a ground issue, otherwise I'd probably be throwing all the other codes, ie P0352, 0353, etc. etc.

I just pulled the coil packs off, going to make sure none of the wires are pinched. This sucks. Thanks for your response, 2x.

Last edited by edwardzracing; 03-20-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I pulled headers off today and both cylinder 1 & 8 are as clean as a whistle... they've NEVER sparked since making the PCM change and putting the car back together. So I'm assuming either the coils are bad (weird they would just magically go bad, huh?), or I have a wiring issue somewhere. I am really not good with a meter, or DMM???? Can anybody give me some tips on what I should do to trace this problem? Is there a way I can probe one of the wires in the coil plug to the PCM to see if I have it in the right spot?? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Brad
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bumping for needed help. Does nobody have any idea how I might be able to track down this problem?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

You really need to use a DMM to track your problem. It's very easy. Put it on continuity/beep. Put one lead on the suspect wire at the coil connector. Put the other lead on the correlating pcm pin. If the wire is in the right spot it should beep. If not then you have some wires crossed somewhere.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you tried swapping those 2 coils with coils from known good firing cylinders...?

Does the problem follow the coils, or does it stay in the same cylinders...?

Locate the primary (trigger) wire for those coils and see if you are getting a pulsetrain while cranking... (try putting DMM on 20V AC range).

Does the scantool indicate RPM during cranking...?

Quick Reply: Dreaded P0351 & P0358