Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail Order Tune Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Mail Order Tune Suggestion

Hi guys. I have a 2001 Trans am with a few bolts ons. Needing to get a tune done, but a local guy wants $350-600 for the first dyno tune, and then another $350-600 for another tune when I bring it back with the head/cam goodies done. I wont be doing the head/cam stuff for awhile so I need it to run decent now, hence the reason I want a mail order tune. Wanted to see what you guys suggest as far as which mail order tuning business I should use. Dont want to sent it off to a bad company. Let me know what you guys think!!!

Here are my mods: air lid, TPIS long tubes, true dual 3", and a Performabuilt Stage II tanny w/ 3600 stall
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Teching In

talk with bryan herter at pcmforless in PA. hes really good, does both LT1 and LSX. www.pcmforless.com check it out. i swapped my stock LT1 for a 383stroker LT1 and my tune was like 300. and it was nearly 100% perfect. i went to a dyno around here and it was nearly already perfect. so give him a call. he'll help ya out. tell him sterling (from vics transmissions told u to call) he will remember my call and give ya some info.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Default Mail Order

Thanks for the info, I called him and he said around $250.00 (plus shipping). Thats not bad, except if my local dyno guy can do it for $300 (on the low end) that seems like a better deal. Any one else cheaper out there, but still good quality??????
Old 03-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone use EFI alchemy? They are a sponsor on here, seemed really nice on the phone.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Mail Order Tune Chuck Cow in New York is the best.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

I would suggest Jesse Bubb (wait4me). Do some searching and you will find nothing but great reviews.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do mail orders. Here's one guy I helped out this morning.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...lp-me-out.html

And this was a cammed turboed car.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

edcmat-l1 and Frost are 2 sponsors that come to mind first for a good performance tune, both seem very knowledgeable and friendly

I have a wait4me tune right now...car runs and drives great, but seems to be a good bit on the rich side, has some idle fluctuations in neutral or park that sometimes cause it to die. The price was right and I planned on a dyno tune once my bugs were worked out. As you can see from my sig though, it seems there is a lot of power missing from somewhere and I can't find anything wrong mechanically.

Jesse offers free retunes, but I don't have access to a wideband yet, I do have a friend who can log for me in hp tuners, so if he gets a wideband I will prolly let Jesse have another shot at it...but to be honest I'd rather shoot for a street/dyno tune this time.

for the price it can't be beat ($160 for tuned pcm, sold the pcm I already had for $100= $60 tune basically...just the HP tuner credits are about $50 if my friend were to buy them to do it) so it was perfect for getting my car running and driving so I could tie up loose ends and problems...if I knew my money for a dyno tune after would have disappeared I would likely have let one of these other guys do it as from the info I've read here they tend to be closer for us performance minded people. That seems to be what you're after.

Not dissing or purposefully leaving anyone out, just my opinions based on experience and reading here.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys. I actually sent it off today to EFI alchemy, one of the sponsors on here. Spoke with Matt and he seemed really nice so we'll see how it turns out. Keep you updated.....just finished installing the headers!!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ed's good people and a very educated tuner. Im glad to see your doing mail order tunes. He has enough under his belt to get your dialed in nicely.

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
I do mail orders. Here's one guy I helped out this morning.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...lp-me-out.html

And this was a cammed turboed car.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

Well, got my tune back from EFI alchemy and took the car out and it runs amazing. Put it through all the loops and it runs smooth and really pulls nice. Would highly recommend. Customer service is great and turn around time was fast.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by emiliesman
Well, got my tune back from EFI alchemy and took the car out and it runs amazing. Put it through all the loops and it runs smooth and really pulls nice. Would highly recommend. Customer service is great and turn around time was fast.
Stick it on the dyno now to see where you stand at now before doing the Heads/cam down the line... Make a vid of it too
Old 04-20-2009, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

good to hear she runs good for ya. Doc at efi-alchemy is a helluva good guy. How Do you like the headers?? Everything fit good??
Old 04-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Glad to hear the tune worked out for you.