Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AF Ratio on Throttle off

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AF Ratio on Throttle off

Just out of curiousity do I need to be concerned too much about the AF ratio when you come off the throttle. I was driving and logging the tune and noticed that when I let off the throttle to come to a stop from 3500-4000 rpm and the rpms decrease back to idle, the AF ratio goes up to 15.7 - 16.3. Is this a major issue or not a huge concern. I'm going to have my tuner finalize the tune for regular driving but I didn't know if I should not run the motor at all the way it is.

Also what should the AF ratio be at idle. Should we try for the 14.7 or something higher to reduce fumes and such?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is fine. As for setting the Idle afr I am not sure how you would change it. Once the system goes into closed loop the pcm will always try for 14.7.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

I have an aftermarket ECU.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I probably would not be too concerned about it. There is very little load on the engine at the point. In fact a lot of PCM's use DFCO. It shuts down injector flow and spark as you decel.

But, you have to be your own judge on it. Some cars/owners might prefer richer for various reasons (bucking, etc..).

As far as idle I've done fine on 14.7-15.5 AFR's. As one poster indicated, closed loop attempts to get you to 14.7 anyway, but you sound like you have a different setup. Richer than 14.0 I start bogging, leaner than 16.0 (a few hot re-starts), it starts getting choppy and stumbles.

Also be aware of the surrounding idle cells, especially at higher MAP and even the 400rpm row. If you start stalling and it hits a cell that is not dialed in (usually richer), expect to stall.

Those are my thoughts. Hope it works out for you.

..WeathermanShawn..
Old 04-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info Mr Weatherman. I will see what I can do to get this thing running well. I have been driving it around my neighborhood and it seems to be running very well. Just a few more tweaks and we shoudl be set.

Adam