Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam position ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down Cam position ?

Needed some help here..... 98 Trans Am A4 Last summer it started throwing a cam position sensor code, I cant remember what one. Car always started, sometimes it would jst crank slow it seemed like. So this winter I put a new one in gm par#12560229 And now its throwing an ses light P0342 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage. It usually wont start the first time, sometimes it does and sometimes it will take 6 or 7 times for it to start. Runs fine when it starts, jst a little rich as to be expected. Do you guys think I got a bad sensor? I dont see any pinched wiring. Should I jst get another one and see what happens? It does have a comp camp installed, has since I got it and it was fine for almost a year b4 it threw any codes, so I dont think its that. Thanks for any help!!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be a problem with the high side feed, might
inspect the connector for pin position, etc. Short
to ground or open on the supply look pretty much
the same to the PCM. Do not know what the output
does if it simply senses nothing - possibly also stuck
low. Worth checking the P/N to see if it's right for
your motor.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

I jst checked the 12+ and grnd at the pcm and they are good. Guess I will jst take the intake back off and see whats up.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Well got the intake off and got the sensor out. The harness was good on both the connector and the sensor itsself....no pinched wires. There was a couple tiny chuncks of stuff stuck to the sensor. They were obviously stuck to the sensor cuz there is a magnent inside of it, but I melted then with a solderin iron tho So idk if thats what was making it throw a code, im going to get a new one at work tomorrow and hope it fixes it. I did get some pics of the stuff on the sensor....and a few pics of what it looks like when you rip one apart to see whats inside

Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 AM
On The Tree

Jst incase anyone stumbles across this while doing a search later on.......... I couldnt get continuity from the sensor harness to the pcm, so I ended up running new wiring. I went ahead and switched the sensor, but im pretty positive the sensor was fine. Somehow the wires much have got pinched, cut or something. I didnt wanna tear the factory harness apart to check. Here is were I got the pin-out for the pcm http://www.ls2.com/boggs/torques/98pinpcm.htm