PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody in OK that can tune for a resonable price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody in OK that can tune for a resonable price?

Mods are in my sig along with a small dished piston. CR should be in the 9.2-9.4:1 range. So far I got quoted $850-$900 to tune my car. I haven't had much time to shop around to find anybody more reasonable. This is my first time to get tuned so I dont know much about this subject. Anybody willing to help out? The car has a 1 bar map in it right now but before the tune I will buy a 2 bar. I now that requires a new OS and several runs on the dyno to populate the tables but the $850-$900 just seems a little steep to me. I'm in the Tulsa area (northeast coner of the state)

Thanks
Old 04-27-2009, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah that's way too steep, you're gonna have to drive to OKC for a reasonable price
Old 04-27-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is off topic but how do you like that Aluminum flywheel and streetability?

As far as tunes go I've bad things about ED and good things about XP in OKC but, no personal experience with either.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by red02Hawk
yeah that's way too steep, you're gonna have to drive to OKC for a reasonable price
That was OKC! lol SW Tuning to be exact. I told him I thought it was a little steep and this was his reply.

Originally Posted by SWTuning
100 bucks for the map, the map sensor connector is different (I do not
charge for the connector nor the wiring it in properly), and $150.00 per
hour for 5 hours of tuning, and with the nature of converting these
operating systems, I usually end up spending more than 5 hours on it to
complete a full tune, so I could bill you by the hour, and it would be
more. You are welcome to go to Ed Wright, who, if he does the same
quality a job as me, will be more expensive, I promise you, or you could
go to one of the many guys running a hobby out of their house, whom I
hear folks complaining about their tunes from. From a budget
standpoint, I understand, but if you think my tune is the same as one of
the other guys charging for beer money, no, it's not the same. It just
depends on where your priorities are with the value of what a proper
tune will do for you, and distinguishing between who knows what they are
doing(and not), and will they actually do that job well for you. It's up
to you.

jim

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693

As far as tunes go I've bad things about ED and good things about XP in OKC but, no personal experience with either.

I love the flywheel. I dont know if you know anything about the V's stock flywheel/clutch assembly but its has a dual mass flywheel. The total assembly weighs in at like 70 or 80lbs or something stupid like that. I forget the exact number but its ridiculous. The Fidanza flywheel alone is only 12.5lbs and I love it. Even pushing my caddy around it does great off the line once you get used to it. Its a little weird pulling that much rotation mass at one time but I wouldn't go back.

I did talk to a guy in Tulsa today that has done only Fords up until this point. Archangel Motorsports. The owner drives a V also but works on fords. Come to find out we go to the same church and his wife teaches at the school I graduated from and he used to coach up there. Anyway, long story short, he knows some people that he said he will get into contact with and see what we can do. Only bad part is I'm on about a 1 month waiting list. And on top of that I'm the guinea pig!

A few pics of my car just cause I can and I love my car! Sorry if they look bad, I took them with my cell phone plus this was pre-bath for her. She's been sitting for 7 months! Just got her all buttoned up and the car is staying the night at the muffler shop tonight.

Last edited by raven154; 04-27-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

PM me and I will give you contact info for a tuner in Hennessey OK.

He tunes with EFI live on a Mustang dyno (SD or Maf and knows how to install custom OS's).

He has a very good reputation in area. He did an SD 2 bar on my 1998 Z28 Camaro H/C 347 A4. The final result with a very safe tune (565 rwhp).

After 3 years of searching and after four tunes his is by far the best.

He tunes on Saturday's too for those of us that can't takes days off and commute during the week to Hennessey.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glenn in Oklahoma City is pretty reasonable. I'm sure someone here can post his info up. He charges about $300 for a dyno tune and thats with him buying the credit for your car.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:23 AM
Launching!

Glenn has tuned my car on more than one occasion. I don't have any complaints, any time I needed to change something or tweak it he said he could do it and he didn't charge me for all the little stuff.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you didn't mention in the original post about the MAP sensor and having your tuner wire it up; that certainly adds to the cost.

Glenn Lipinski can certainly do a good job with your car as well... I would try and contact him if I were you.

Best of luck, nice looking ride.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I second Glen, he does a decent job for a decent price ,I believe his name on here is 2xls1
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693

Then you really don't know, do you? That comparrison depends on who you talk to. I'm booked solid into August right now for dyno work. I seldom get out of there before 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Seldom stop for lunch. It's ALL repeat customers or referals from customers. Absolutely not one dime spent on advertising. I don't troll the internet for work like some here. You won't find any "Please let me tune your car" PMs or emails like I have been shown by some guys when they end up here. I must be making SOMEBODY happy.

The more work somebody does the more good and bad you will hear about them. Posting "I heard" this or that is getting way too common on message boards. Very few are based on fact. Maybe you might want to stick to posting something you actually know about.

We have had to start refering people to other tuners or declining work recently. I can only do so much.

As far as prices, that jackass that posted I charged people $1,000.00 to tune their cars is simply lying. Never happened. It would take mulitiple trips here with changes to the car to spend that much.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Frost
you didn't mention in the original post about the MAP sensor and having your tuner wire it up; that certainly adds to the cost.

Glenn Lipinski can certainly do a good job with your car as well... I would try and contact him if I were you.

Best of luck, nice looking ride.
He said he didnt charge for wiring it up.

Originally Posted by SWTuning
100 bucks for the map, the map sensor connector is different (I do not charge for the connector nor the wiring it in properly), and $150.00 per hour for 5 hours of tuning, and with the nature of converting these operating systems, I usually end up spending more than 5 hours on it to complete a full tune, so I could bill you by the hour, and it would be more.
I didn't want him to hack my car anyway. I was going to install a Cobalt SS baro sensor that is 2 bar and will plug in with no hacking for $48. I told him I wanted to install it myself and that was the part I was going to use and that he was to expensive and that was the guys reply. It would be more if I charged by the hour.

I work on VIP 737's and A318 Elite's and the SHOP rate isn't even that much. Meaning my company doesn't charge our customers that much an hour to fix a several million dollar aircraft, why should I pay a guy $150 an hour to work on my car.

Last edited by raven154; 05-24-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Then you really don't know, do you? That comparrison depends on who you talk to. I'm booked solid into August right now for dyno work. I seldom get out of there before 6:30 or 7:00 pm. Seldom stop for lunch. It's ALL repeat customers or referals from customers. Absolutely not one dime spent on advertising. I don't troll the internet for work like some here. You won't find any "Please let me tune your car" PMs or emails like I have been shown by some guys when they end up here. I must be making SOMEBODY happy.

The more work somebody does the more good and bad you will hear about them. Posting "I heard" this or that is getting way too common on message boards. Very few are based on fact. Maybe you might want to stick to posting something you actually know about.

We have had to start refering people to other tuners or declining work recently. I can only do so much.

As far as prices, that jackass that posted I charged people $1,000.00 to tune their cars is simply lying. Never happened. It would take mulitiple trips here with changes to the car to spend that much.
Hey Ed. It's the jackass here. Glad you are so booked up. Who was it that said "there is a sucker born every minute?" The customer was a shop in Tulsa that specializes in Corvettes. The car was an 88 Corvette with an LS1 transplant and a Procharger. That is a unique enough car from a local shop that even you should remember it. Yes he was at your shop multiple times, each time paying you more and more money. $1000 total is what he told me he had paid you. Again, one 5 minute drive dataloging and 10 minutes looking at YOUR tune, I fixed his car. It was the tune. You had told him there was no way it was the tune and that the way he had the Procharger head unit clocked was causing all his problems. The difference is you are such an arrogant SOB that you think you never do anything wrong. Funny how you just want to agrue about what you charged him, not what I found in your tune. Chris who owned Tulsa Dyno where I fixed the car would verify everything I said here.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
9-Second Club

Jackass, I don't remember the car. An older Vette with an LS1 and Procharger, I think I would remember. Must have been a long time ago. Probably would have been Rudy's Corvettes, but I don't remember ever telling anybody the ATI head unit was clocked wrong. I've never heard of that. If a car comes here with a problem, there is never a charge unless they changed something that needs retuned. There is no other way to spend $1000.00 here unless they also bought some parts. Injectors, etc.

Btw, if you think I worry enough about what you post to feel obligated to address everything you mention, you have a very inflated sense of self worth. I've heard about your rants about me when tuning cars for guys from Tulsa. They say it's comical the way they can get you going. I don't know you, but it cracks me up that you worry so much about somebody tuning 100 miles away. You need to realize, many come there because you are cheap, and some because you can get to them going sooner than I can. Many end up here later.

Some of you internet "tuners" and your worship of the commanded air/fuel table is hard to understand. And, I have better sources than internet message boards. A couple that didn't get the VE and MAF tables right,according to some of you. That table is only a calculation. You guys butcher 47 other tables to make that one agree with your widebands. Roughly 40% of new stock vehicles factory calibrations I have dyno tested don't have actual measured P.E. air/fuel ratios even close to the values in that table. I guess the GM calibrators, the same ones that didn't get the V.E. (with MAF disabled) table correct (according to some here) so the air/fuel ratios wouldn't agree with your internet-bought wide bands. They must have screwed up there too, right? Then "turn the MAF back on", and the fueling is wrong again, those fools must have gotten the MAF tables wrong too! News break here: That is not how those tables are used by the PCM/ECM. They are used together they are blended. Individually both are wrong.

Shut off C.O.T. mode, and the P.E. air/fuel changes. But, it's only 14.7 divided by the numbers in that table, so nothing else in in that calcuation right? Nope, wrong again. And there are reasons for high numbers in that table, put your thinking cap on for fifteen minutes and you may turn on a light. Maybe not. Some come from GM the same way for the same reason. If some of you guys had more info, maybe some of your numbers would not make as much sense to you.

Guess I'm going to have to dig up some of your crap I've fixed, and post some tables. Btw, you might want to quit using my LS1 spark tables. I have names for that. I'll put up some dyno numbers and elapsed times, and names for that also.

I hate to have to stoop to jaskass-high school crap like that, I may do it.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 05-25-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

I purchased tuning from Ed Wright and from a tuner in PA.I then had the car dynoed at Precision Autosports in Xenia Ohio.I drove the car there with the Ed Wright tuning,had it dynoed, pulled it and put in the tuning from PA.The Ed Wright made 25hp more than the PA tuning.The Wright tuning cost was double the cost of the tuning from PA.I spent alot of money to get all the hp I could so theres no use losing it with a bad tune.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ill post my experiences/and some hear say with both these tuners...
I have talked to 3 local people in okc that have gone to ed for tuning...they all have said he was short and to the point. Almost to the point of get you in and out with little customer service feel, also have been told his prices were way high for there taste. In one instance when ed was called back for one pcm tweek it was going to be a hole new full charge which tunred this customer off. So when they went to have someone cheaper to tweek it they found there pcm locked. I have seen eds tunes and havent seen anything he does thats any more magical than the next guy. One tuner can push the same buttons as the next one its no secret. But I will add this is all hersay and I have no personal tuning experience and have never met him. Eds been around these cars and has been tuning for a very long time and im sure he has alot of knowledge and has done some nice work.

Glenn has tuned every fbody I have owned for the last several years. Ive sent countless friends to him ranging from trucks to cars. Everyone has always been tickled with there experience with him. Hes always gone above and beyond in fixing little things aside from tuning as well. He charges little to nothing for updates or tweeks and lets you be involved and explains every aspect of what hes doing if your interested. Even if it takes him twice as long do the job by involving you, you an tell he wants you to happy and your car to run good. He has gone out of his way to find me and other guy parts and find ways for us to save money and still achieve our goals. Im sure Glenn makes mistakes just like Ed no one is perfect.

You should spend time on the phone with each one if they or you have time and get a feel for them, then pick the one you feel most comfortable with...
Old 05-27-2009, 09:06 AM
9-Second Club

If somebody was told an update would be full price, there was a misunderstanding. Updates are $150.00 + freight. Re-dyno tuning one with updates costs $300.00.

I have not "locked" anything for about six years. I also never locked anything so it could not be flashed by the GM dealer or another tuner. The way people lock computers now is, imho, immoral and likely illegal. Any decent "tuner" would start with his own work anyway. I just write over the last guy's stuff with my own. I don't really care how anybody else does things.

Everybody makes mistakes. How some clown can claim that myself, or anybody else, thinks they make no mistakes and blames everybody else for problems, when they don't even know the person they are talking about is beyond me. I have recommended him to people in the OKC area for small simple changes they needed done quicker than I could get them in. That certainly won't happen again.

Btw, you won't see everything I do, because none of the software you buy off the internet gives you access to everything I work with.

I'm done. I don't have time for this bs.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If a car comes here with a problem, there is never a charge unless they changed something that needs retuned [Quote from Ed].

Okay I have a question for you Ed. Do you remember Andrea? Yellow 93' trans am. cc306 cam.She had you tune the car a yr. or so ago. This was previously my car. I built it. I guess when she took it to you it had a bad header leak. Now that is her fault. But from what she has told me. You pulled the car on the rollers, made 2 runs. 2 changes and charged her over $500 dollars. I bought the car back from her, I fixed the header leaks. "New pair of dead soft gaskets". Now the problem is the car is running dangerously lean. How much would I be charged if I brought the car back down to you to retune it? Nothing has been changed. And would you do the drivability tune on the car? She said you did no drivability tune on the car at all, just the 2 pulls. Which I have never heard of that. I had 3 tunes done on my cars. one on the yellow ta when I prev. owned it and 2 on my gto,last one was a sd tune. and they all spent atleast 1-2 hrs. getting the drivability tune down.
so My question is to you, how much would I be charged to get the tune right?
Or would I have to pay the full amount again to get the tune done?

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 11-06-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

if anyone has them can they pm me glen and xp telephone numbers? the search function hasnt been cooperating with me
Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
If a car comes here with a problem, there is never a charge unless they changed something that needs retuned [Quote from Ed].

Okay I have a question for you Ed. Do you remember Andrea? Yellow 93' trans am. cc306 cam.She had you tune the car a yr. or so ago. This was previously my car. I built it. I guess when she took it to you it had a bad header leak. Now that is her fault. But from what she has told me. You pulled the car on the rollers, made 2 runs. 2 changes and charged her over $500 dollars. I bought the car back from her, I fixed the header leaks. "New pair of dead soft gaskets". Now the problem is the car is running dangerously lean. How much would I be charged if I brought the car back down to you to retune it? Nothing has been changed. And would you do the drivability tune on the car? She said you did no drivability tune on the car at all, just the 2 pulls. Which I have never heard of that. I had 3 tunes done on my cars. one on the yellow ta when I prev. owned it and 2 on my gto,last one was a sd tune. and they all spent atleast 1-2 hrs. getting the drivability tune down.
so My question is to you, how much would I be charged to get the tune right?
Or would I have to pay the full amount again to get the tune done?
The fuel trims/drivablity is about impossible with header leaks. The fuel trims can't be done. if you ask around you will find I'm normally over half a day tuning one. I seldom make a WOT pull before noon. Most drivability is done on the dyno. Seems most shops can only do the WOT pulls because they don't buy the variable load add-on. It's easier than dodging traffice to do it. Unless a car has a very loose converter I can hit most all the VE table cells sitting right there. The ECM does not know or care if the load comes from weight & wind or the dyno brake. Sometimes I have to make further adjustements after we take it off the dyno and test drive it, but usually not.

If she said I did no drivability, she may have not realized I was doing, driving in the car on the dyno with my laptop next to me. I use an emulator for those. If you will ask her, I'm sure she will tell you she was here for at least half a day. I don't remember ever making only two pulls with a car. She would have gotten a print-out with only two pulls, one like it came in the door and one after finished. I don't print every pull made. I don't see the point. I barely remember her and the car. A lot of F bodys have been through here over the years.

Since the exhaust is now fixed, and you *say* nothing on the car is changed, and you were not even my customer, what do feel like I should do for you? Spend another half a day re-tuning it for you for nothing? Especially since you childishly post something like this on an internet message board instead of contacting me directly like an adult? Do you think kind of b.s. is going to make me want to help you? If she had contacted me after fixing the car I would have helped her. You can just call somebody else.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No I didn't expect you to do it for free, I just wanted to see how you would respond, I believe her when she said you only did 2 wot pulls with the car.She told me she was only there for a few hrs. But it's her word against yours, but I remember the phone call to me after she left your shop, saying the car is driving terrible.And since you mentioned loose stall,The car does have a pretty loose 3800 fuddle stall. Surely you should remember the car, because you have the file on it, and it is a very rare color sunfire yellow LT1 trans am. And Im sure not a whole lot of girls bring you cammed/stalled built f-bodies. I wouldn't bring you the car if you offered to pay for the gas down there, in my mind you got over on her, and you sir, would never touch my cars while I owned them. My car will be heading to St.Louis for a real dynotune. Im done I just wanted to see what all went into this 500+ dollar tune.She said she was hurried out the door. And nothing was said to her about the tune, she was pretty much just left in the dark with no clue on what you did to the car at all during those 2 pulls.Nothing was explained to her. I know you have your secret ways on doing things, but every tuner I been to, would usually tell me what was out of whack with the tune that I brought to them.Or what changes they atleast roughly did to the car.And if there was a problem w/the car. Say like a header gasket leaking, you figure a good tuner, and esp. LT1 man would have prob. pointed that out if they noticed it.Surely with your scanner hooked up you would have noticed if there was a problem. Instead of trying to just tune around it to get her out the door. She would have gladly fixed the problem and came back. I would have expected a tuner to tell me if they noticed something was not right w/the car "per say header gaskets leaking". and then set up a time to bring it back to tune the car when it was running it's best.

Incase you don't remember the car...

Last edited by 06blackGTO; 11-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody in OK that can tune for a resonable price?