Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about tuning software

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default question about tuning software

im finally happy with the bolt ons i have aquired so i figured its time to bite the bullet and get it tuned. rather then taking it somewhere to do this im going to purchase some tuning software

question is im not too familiar with them. ive read the stickies and i dont want this to be a HPTunes vs. ls1edit vs. efilive thread. i just want to hear your input on which one you feel is bette AND LEAVE A REASON WHY ITS BETTER THEN THE OTHER. i want to see what software has a feature that another doesnt, or which one is the most user friendly.

im also curious to see which one has better forum supper, ie, if i have a question about my tune, i can get on their forum and ask for help
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you can go on to both EFILive and HPTuners sites and do a free trial of each to see which you like better. Also from what I've found, they can both do pretty much anything you need them to and are both fairly user friendly. I went with HPtuners because it is cheaper and I got a good package deal with a wideband. Also I like HPT's licencing method better.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

yeah, im leaning heavily towards hptuners.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Launching!

Are you going to need segment swaps ? aka use the pcm to control a 4l80e ?
Old 05-01-2009, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

no, i dont plan on ever changing the tranny. im mostly likely only going to do a cam in the future and thats it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
I think you can go on to both EFILive and HPTuners sites and do a free trial of each to see which you like better.
No free trial of HP Tuners last time I checked, unless things changed in the last month or so.
Wonder how long before the moderaters shut this thread down????

Mike
Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by schwoch1
No free trial of HP Tuners last time I checked, unless things changed in the last month or so.
Wonder how long before the moderaters shut this thread down????

Mike
They probably wont because its a tech guy asking other tech guys how they feel about the software they own. Im not trying to bash a sponsor or a product, just getting opinions.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of differences between the two programs & their hardware...starting with pricing, to tables offered, to supported vehicles, to features, etc.

The opinions you will get will likely be extremely biased one way or the other and unfortunately won't help you with your purchase.

However you are more than welcome to join our user help forum that now as over 12,000 members and ask any specific questions regarding our product as I will be more than happy to answer them.

Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
11 Second Club

Oh yeah, HPTuners has a very helpful forum too
Old 05-03-2009, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Oh yeah, HPTuners has a very helpful forum too
did you get the standard or the professional software?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have HPtuners and I love it. Anything I have needed to change or "tune" I have been able to do so. The members on the forums are also very helpful.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

i see you have the pro software, what is the big upgrade from the standard?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the pro HTP software. You can log a wideband O2 sensor with. If you tune you need a wideband. By the way HPT and EFI are about the same. The interface is differant so it is hard to go back and forth.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:49 AM
On The Tree

I use EFILive mainly because HPTuners did not have a demo on their site so I could 'play' with the program prior to purchasing. I do know they have screen shots, ETC of their program, but that is not the same as actually using it.It's kinda like wanting to buy a new car but not being able to test drive it before purchasing it. Also, they did not have the firing order selection avaliable at the time I was purchasing a tuning program (I know they do now though). I own V2 of EFILive and have been very happy with it's performance and the way the program navigates. HPTuners users say that their program navigates easier, but I could not tell you as I have never used their program. Either program does the same job, both have very good websites and forums, I have used both. I am going to say though that the 12,000 + members of the HPTuners forum is a little inflated, as they require you to register with their forum in order to unlock/register your software, so their are not 12,000 + people browsing the forums waiting for your questions
Again, I use EFILive, but both programs will do what you need to do I am sure, boils down to which one you like better!!!

Mike
Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have EFI LIVE and have a mates HPTuners on hand too. I started with EFI LIVE so I prefer the tree structure of the menus a lot better. But I can see how the HPT interface could attract the novice. The hardware interface is clearly superior for EFI LIVE. You can scan and see the data on the LCD screen so you dont need a laptop all the time and save hundreds upon hundreds of hours of data to an SD card. The EFI LIVE custom OS's are free and some of the main things I use in OS5 for example is IAT/VE correction and Semi Open Loop Fueling which alters the main fueling table to be MAP/RPM instead of the pretty much useless MAP/ECT. This table alone is very useful for the US guys as you can run a lean cruise with it. HPT doesn't have either of those tables FYI.

EFI LIVE will also be releasing (im told in the next week or two) standalone reading and flashing of tunes. This means you can use a SD card and just pull tunes out of cars without a laptop.

The one thing I do like about HPTuners is the RTT os. Its not as good as EFI LIVE and a Road Runner as with that you can change anything and it sticks for good like automatically tuning VE without any user input (very cool). But RTT is handy for tuning timing on the road. But then again if I'm just tweaking timing a little bit on the road EFI LIVE's DVT controls with the ability to add or subtract total or Delta timing while driving is fine for me in most cases.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have both HP Tuners and EFI Live in my shop and have used both on plenty of cars. Considering the vehicle you're looking to tune, I prefer HP Tuners for its well-thought-out menu structure (very easy to use for beginners as well as pros) and the ease of using and setting up the data-logging functions. The support is immediate when you encounter a problem (which rarely happens with either software platform), and you can imagine how important that is to someone who pays his mortgage this way. Both EFI Live and HP Tuners are great, but I don't think you have a better choice than HP Tuners (especially if you're new to tuning) for the above reasons, and it's cheaper. What more can you ask?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

yeah, after reading all these posts im definately going to go with hptuners.

so i need to get hptuners pro and a wideband as well?
Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schwoch1
I am going to say though that the 12,000 + members of the HPTuners forum is a little inflated, as they require you to register with their forum in order to unlock/register your software, so their are not 12,000 + people browsing the forums waiting for your questions
Incorrect, our help forum is open to the public and is completely separate from our customer database.

Our customers do not need to sign up on our forum(many do not) as to get started all they really need to do is login to their customer login page at www.hptuners.com which is a completely separate entity from our forum and unrelated in every way.

-Bill
Old 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by twitchtwice
yeah, after reading all these posts im definately going to go with hptuners.

so i need to get hptuners pro and a wideband as well?
That's the only way to fly if you want to do it right and ensure that you have the tools to make your engine last.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dan@masportspeedshop
That's the only way to fly if you want to do it right and ensure that you have the tools to make your engine last.
Either EFILive or HPTuners will do the job that is needed to keep your engine together. A wideband is almost a must anymore while tuning, makes life a whole lot simpler!!!

Mike