PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can i tell what injectors my pcm is tuned for?

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How can i tell what injectors my pcm is tuned for?

Is there anyway I can tell what injectors my pcm is tuned for. I dont have any tuning software or anything, just a ELM scan tool type thing for my computer I can hook up. The reason I ask is I wanted a tune i could just drive around on for a little bit till i got it on the dyno. I already had a tune through Nelson Perfomance so I just called and got another one mailed to me. The tune was for my ls1 with a MS3 I had just installed into my truck. I also switched over to 42lb injectors when I put the new tune on. I told them about the 42lb injectors but im not sure they tuned it for the bigger injectors. The drivability of the truck is even worse than before when i didnt have the tune until the truck goes into closed loop. Then driveablity is pretty decent. But when I go wot it leaves a nice smoke trail behind it, like grayish smoke. It didnt smoke before the new tune either. And also at wot it pulls all the way till 6700 rpms but it doesnt fell like a 5.7 with a MS3 in it should. I also pulled the spark plugs and they were coated black. I pulled them all on the day before I put the tune on and they were fine, now they are coated black with just maybe 40 miles on them since then, and only one wot pass.

Thanks
Jon
Old 05-03-2009, 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

stop going WOT until its tuned, get it tuned right is the only answer
Old 05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

You should stop driving it alltogether until you get it tuned, because you could be gas washing the cylinders if the injectors have not been rescaled
The truck probly runs crappy when cold because your in OL and the fuel trims have not kicked in, use the scan tool to see where the fuel trims are when in CL
If the fuel trims are extensive then maybe the pcm is trying to compensate for the larger injectors, but the pcm has its limits to how much fuel it can trim back
Check you oil, make sure the level is not increasing and it doesnt smell like gas
You probly wont be to tell for sure if the pcm has been edited for the injectors with scan tool, unless you have tuning software and can look at injector flow rates to see Grams/Second
Im no expert though, just dont want to see you hurt your motor

Last edited by smooth01; 05-03-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Washing the cylinders down is my biggest fear right now, I hadnt thought about my motor not bein tuned for the injectors till today when I got on it. Then I started thinking about everything else it was doing and pulled the plugs and it all clicked. My fuel trims are at 8-10% when it goes into closed loop I think. I was looking at them today but cant remeber exactly. And i havnt driven the truck since then, I checked the oil and smelt it it looked good and smelt alright. But that was the first wot and was only in it through second gear.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:36 AM
11 Second Club

dont drive it at all until you get it tuned, if u get a copy of hp tuners, i can help you!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a turbo kit from hp performance for my 01 ss and sent the pcm out to them twice so they could flash it for me with a base tune for the boost and 42lb/hr injectors, but nathan (owner) never even touched it.
When i started my car after putting on the turbo kit it sound like it had a big cam in, but the motor was completely stock tough. The huge injectors were causing cylinders to misfire. The car would start to run smooth once it warmed up though.
My oil ended up smelling like gas after i drove the car for a few miles.
I finally had it towed to fbody central to get it tuned, the car made 550hp/564ftlb on 8 psi, so I guess i didnt kill the rings all together

Search this Thread