Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

only real tuners please

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default only real tuners please

ok well i just got my combo done and started with a base tune and started working with it, started out with a car that would not start unless you gave it 20% throttle to keep the motor going.
So far i have been reading bin file's like a crazy addiction for the past week and have got the car to the point of starting and driveing but from what I can tell at this point I'm very rich and lean in spots basically have been making small changes to see how the car takes to them I would love to have some one look at my tune and maybe point me in the right direction. I would love to get the car close, being that I'm the type of guy that likes to do **** my self when i have the tools to do it HP-Tuners. So far my short-term fuel trims seem to be working and doing well. The problem is in my long-term trims I may be rich, I have messed with my ve tables as well as other things but I think I have come a long way.

if any one would be willing to look at my file i will be glad to email it to ya and see what ya think any advise will help. Plus i just got layed off from GM for ther next 11 weeks. I can't see going to get the car tuned at this point, but I want to drive the car and keep modding this pig, any one who is interested i will give my mods along with my bin file thanks.

plan is when i get back to work, I want to get it in over at 1320straightline and have the pro's over there do it, because they have been so helpfull in the past with my car

so there it is hp-tuners tuner in training
mightybird..........

Last edited by mightybird; 05-20-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: edcmat-l1 thinks i spell like shit
Old 05-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

todays tune of the day ms4 base tune
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
BaseMS4.hpt (457.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do we know if we are real enough?
Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Launching!

well ok let me refraze that any one who knows HP-tuners haha

well so far i have gotten this far and it likes this tune friend of mine has helped me tweak some things here and there today so thats the latest and greatest i cant wait to get it over to the dyno and get some real tune work and some numbers on and off the bottle.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still at work and thus can't open the file you attached, but it's the norm for the car to be too rich at idle after adding an aggressive cam. You'll have to adjust the base running airflow table in the idle section (usually reduce the values... a lot) and then lean the Ve table values for this region (idle). Timing is cam dependent, but can be in the 26-30 range depending on the cam (I know a MS4 is aggressive, but don't have personal experience with them.) I have a spreadsheet that makes this a simple deal. I'll see if I can find it on my computer at home and send it to ya'.

You'll see the Ve table will also be too lean in the mid and high rpm/ high MAP range. Again, function of a better cam.... it's allowing more air into the combustion chamber and thus needs more fuel to maintain the AFR.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 AM
Launching!

well from what i figured i had way to much fuel in my long term injector tables short terms seemed to be doing fine one weird thing at idle in park i was getting 3 to 5 degree's of knock so i pulled some timing out long term trims where maxed at cruising and way to high to be just sitting there parked showing on my scan cruising at 25 in each bank and 18 to 20 at park idle the car would smooth out when adding throttle and fuel trims would go normal.
see my main problem when i started fresh on this tune was i had nothing close to what the motor needed to idle.

starting on a clean sheet of paper i dug right in and just started trying things things i have picked up from talking to fellow tuners i have tried about 8 different tunes this one here seems to be the closest but i still think its on the rich side im going to try another one tomarow so far i think this is a great base tune for some one running a larger 42 lb injector on the motor thats all for now.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Schantin
I'm still at work and thus can't open the file you attached, but it's the norm for the car to be too rich at idle after adding an aggressive cam. You'll have to adjust the base running airflow table in the idle section (usually reduce the values... a lot) and then lean the Ve table values for this region (idle). Timing is cam dependent, but can be in the 26-30 range depending on the cam (I know a MS4 is aggressive, but don't have personal experience with them.) I have a spreadsheet that makes this a simple deal. I'll see if I can find it on my computer at home and send it to ya'.

You'll see the Ve table will also be too lean in the mid and high rpm/ high MAP range. Again, function of a better cam.... it's allowing more air into the combustion chamber and thus needs more fuel to maintain the AFR.
schantin thanks for your input i am willing to hear all advise and i cant wait to hear what you have to say about my tune good or bad
Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you read up on the stickies on the HP Tuners forum? It's going to sound bad when I say it, but it sounds like you need to do some research on how fuel trims work. The short trim fuel trims don't mean much if they are perfect and the long terms are way off.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Have you read up on the stickies on the HP Tuners forum? It's going to sound bad when I say it, but it sounds like you need to do some research on how fuel trims work. The short trim fuel trims don't mean much if they are perfect and the long terms are way off.
yea i ran into that problem when i first got started on this project i got all that figured out now thanks.

just need to get the car to a dyno and have a real tuner make all the fine tune adjustments.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Frost
How do we know if we are real enough?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Did a quick look at your tune. Sent ya' a PM with my $0.02
Old 05-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Its like a different car for sure now did some scanning and logs i made some VE changes smoothed it out when showing my ms41.1 next to the new file i made ms41.2 it really cleared the car up no dead spots under normal cruising speed but i still have work to do on the fuel files seem to have a rich idle and seems almost like the car was loading up before i did the ve changes so im going to do some more testing with this file then move on to fuel trims.

I"m looking into a wide band lm1 from innovate they have a really nice hand held unite witch i would think would be easier to use on other cars as well.

Also thinking larger injectors mite be a smart move after doing some research what i have come across and at first i was really thinking about ford green top #42 injectors but i see they flow that at 40 psi where the ls1 is some what higher any one have some info on this that can explain how this will affect the flow rate. I'm sure there are other injectors out there like Delphi and motron and i see trick flow has them now as well.

Last edited by mightybird; 05-09-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: couse
Old 05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
Launching!

update new tune to look at changed ve tables i wanted to see how this worked out before i posted this one up thanks for the help guys cars does not seem to load up any more but we still have fuel problems after looking at some things i post up 2 different tunes and 2 different changes.
Attached Files
BaseMS4VEchange.hpt (457.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Launching!

its amazing just the changes that where made in the power enrichment tables what a difference i am really starting to love this
Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Launching!

this is a better tune did some tuning today spent a good 3 hours testing maken changes today
Attached Files
ms41.3fuel change.hpt (458.2 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 AM
Launching!

here is the latest tune and some data logs from my last tune i will put the log up from my last tune and then post up the latest tune for my corrections base ms4.1.2 is the tune im working on now needless to say this is a ms4 tune with ported ls6 style heads and a stock injectors and all the bolt on stuff
Attached Files
517 417 start point.hpt (457.4 KB, 90 views)
File Type: hpl
log file 1.hpl (92.5 KB, 86 views)
05.18.2009drive.hpl (232.6 KB, 78 views)
BaseMS41.1.2.hpt (458.0 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by mightybird; 05-18-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-18-2009, 05:45 AM
Launching!

this is the 2nd log after i put the base file log back in to get home
Attached Files
log file 2.hpl (78.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: txt
DTCs5.16.2009.txt (691 Bytes, 61 views)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why are you making changes to the VE when you're not in SD?

Go back and read the help file for tuning in SD. Dial in your VE with the MAF disabled. Turn your long term fuel trims off. Fix the mountain range PE table.

On a side note, try typing with some amount of decent sentence structure. You know, capitalize and using some punctuation. Spell check would help too. It would make reading your posts less painful.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 05-18-2009, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Why are you making changes to the VE when you're not in SD?

Go back and read the help file for tuning in SD. Dial in your VE with the MAF disabled. Turn your long term fuel trims off. Fix the mountain range PE table.

On a side note, try typing with some amount of decent sentence structure. You know, capitalize and using some punctuation. Spell check would help too. It would make reading your posts less painful.
Give the poor guy a break At least he's trying to learn tuning on his own. We all had to start somewhere.

I've been helping his some. Basically told him the same as you (save turning LTFT's off)....but in a more polite fashion BTW, enjoying Brian's old gig?