Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Predator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on Predator?

Just ordered one, how do yall who have them like them? Easy to use?
Old 11-01-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

I thought it was a good piece of equipment when I had mine, not as adjustable as LS1 edit but very user friendly and great for a person looking to aquire knowledge about tuning with a primarily bolt on setup. I know you can send off for custom tuning but support seems irratic at best. Mine was stolen out of a friends car and I have a modified tune with no way to change it. Thankfully the tune is close now, but when I get through modding this winter I plan on having the Pcm flashed back to stock and going with some locall LS1 edit tuning. I hope yours works out for you!
Old 11-03-2003, 01:39 AM
Restricted User

Have had a lot of luck, but the tune turn around time could be better without saying much more. I have typed a lot of reference articles in this section for the Predator user to help get the tuning process down.. As of now, my AFR is dialed in right where I want it, and just need to get the idle smoothed a little more, but overall very pleased with it.
Good luck, feel free to pm "?".

Charlie.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAT3,

How's the predator for diagnostics? I need something to read/clear trouble codes and do some data monitoring. I don't have a laptop for edit or autotap. Also, my car was tuned by Mikey at Rapid Motorsports. If I get a predator, can I use it to adjust for tire/gear changes without screwing up the rest of the tune?
Old 11-03-2003, 02:29 AM
Restricted User

No you cannot, it will flash the PCM with the "generic" performance tune first time. I have reservsations on the monitoring, it is accurate and helpful but seems like there could have been a "save" r "log" button to press and let you drive as it records the data, then let you plug it into the computer and DL the file for your viewing. If nothing else it sure would help to pass the right info to the vendor for tunes.
I use a friend, or the wife, for gathering info, I call out the info I want her to write down and she becomes me "record" button.

It reads, scans for, and clears trouble codes very well.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like it so far. Haven't had to send it back for custom tune yet. Real time diagnostic and ability to clear codes is very usefull. If I had the money for atap, edit and a laptop, I would have bought them but my fishing hobby eats up most of my disposable income(which aint much).
Old 11-03-2003, 10:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to "Install Performance" to have the "generic performance tune"
written to the PCM. The first thing the Predator does, is copy your original
tune to its memory so you can restore it later. I do this before every trip
to the dealership, just in case they get nosey. It reminds me how much
improved the car drives with the Predator tune & adjustments in, for sure.

Logging is supposed to be part of V1.04 update (whenever).

Originally Posted by CAT3
No you cannot, it will flash the PCM with the "generic" performance tune first time. I have reservsations on the monitoring, it is accurate and helpful but seems like there could have been a "save" r "log" button to press and let you drive as it records the data, then let you plug it into the computer and DL the file for your viewing. If nothing else it sure would help to pass the right info to the vendor for tunes.
I use a friend, or the wife, for gathering info, I call out the info I want her to write down and she becomes me "record" button.

It reads, scans for, and clears trouble codes very well.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys...so what you're saying is that I can use the Predator for codes/data monitoring safely w/o screwing up Mikey's tune or does this thing automatically reflash as soon as I plug it in? I don't mind spending the cash if it'll be useful, but is there a better alternative for pulling codes/data monitoring outside of atap (I don't have a laptop) or other pc-based devices?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't like is that you can't specifically change something like the rev limiter, after one has gone to an LS1Edit tune, as the Predator will reflash its own Spark and Enrichment values over the Edit tune.
Not a huge problem, but it was a scenario which I found out the hard way.
When I called Diablo Sport to confirm my mishap, they gladly offered a custom tune (I ended up just having the Edit file which I messed up reinstalled).

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 11-03-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
What I don't like is that you can't specifically change something like the rev limiter
But without an edit tune, you can raise or lower the rev limiter, correct?

Diablo advertised this.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Restricted User

Ok, me and Drew778 were just talking and the results are this. Yes you can use the predator AND Edit tunng.
But you have to set it up like this:

Get Edit tuning, dial yoru car in NA, and then use the predator, this will in turn save the Edited tune n yoru PCM as the "factory" tune, and automatically (yes it does this by itself and no you cant get around it) performance tune, have your vendor get your custom tuning for like me 180DP Nitrous, reduced timing, add alittle fuel etc.... but yoru not worried so much about the little ins and outs of the tune when all youwant is a tune safe for racing. When you leave the track, just reinstall the "stock" tune saved in the predator. Easya s that, now if you dont already have the predator I am byno means trying to get you to buy one, but I already have one and edit enroute, Drew778, has both, so why not use it.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
Ok, me and Drew778 were just talking and the results are this. Yes you can use the predator AND Edit tunng.
But you have to set it up like this:

Get Edit tuning, dial yoru car in NA, and then use the predator, this will in turn save the Edited tune n yoru PCM as the "factory" tune, and automatically (yes it does this by itself and no you cant get around it) performance tune, have your vendor get your custom tuning for like me 180DP Nitrous, reduced timing, add alittle fuel etc.... but yoru not worried so much about the little ins and outs of the tune when all youwant is a tune safe for racing. When you leave the track, just reinstall the "stock" tune saved in the predator. Easya s that, now if you dont already have the predator I am byno means trying to get you to buy one, but I already have one and edit enroute, Drew778, has both, so why not use it.
That's a great idea!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:56 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Cat3, good idea, as the Predator works from a baseline. I'd check with Diablo Sport about this. PM me if you need their number.
Venkman, yes, rev limits are adjustable, to a max of 6600rpms. Any higher would require a custom tune from Diablo Sport.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cat3, good idea, as the Predator works from a baseline. I'd check with Diablo Sport about this. PM me if you need their number.
Venkman, yes, rev limits are adjustable, to a max of 6600rpms. Any higher would require a custom tune from Diablo Sport.
Last question

If i pick up a tank of 103 at the track, can you throw in say 3-5 degrees of timing across the board?
Old 11-04-2003, 11:47 PM
Restricted User

Yes, you can adjust timing, as the user manual says up or down 2*, from where it is set at, mine stock was 33.8* but I could advance or retard it using the predator 4.3*...Dont ask, it just did it that much. Now my custom tune I currently have runs a mid-line spark of 28*, but my new one limits it down even more to 26* so then I can retard it down to 24* (byt he manual, or in my use 22*).

SouthFL, yes and no the Predator uses a baseline.

1)Take my car, reflash it to stock.

2)Tune it for NA using Edit, keep the timing up, AFR at 13.1:1 WOT, delete COT, rear O2's, EGR, AIR pump, adjust misfire detection rate, and Low Octane tables, IAC for idle, add a little timing on the low rpm for a smoother idle etc.... Great its tuned for max effort NA running, and everyday use.

3) Reflash the predator-clearing its memory, must be sent in for this.

4) Plug Predator in, reads the tune in the PCM as "stock"tune, saves it as such and then enters in the pre-programmed generic tune, in turn download the custom tune I already have before I sent everything off for reflashing, and install, adjust parameters as needed...voila..a custom Nitrous tune. This one has max spark of 20*, AFR at 12.5:1 (or less depending), COT off, Low Octane table matches high octane for KR, etc....

5) Get done racing take the predator out, retune to "stock" (this is the edit tune we saved in it earlier), and while it is downloading into the car, I am changing my tires!

Sounds great to me since I already have the Predator, and am getting edit.
Old 11-12-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
CAT3,

How's the predator for diagnostics? I need something to read/clear trouble codes and do some data monitoring. I don't have a laptop for edit or autotap. Also, my car was tuned by Mikey at Rapid Motorsports. If I get a predator, can I use it to adjust for tire/gear changes without screwing up the rest of the tune?
I just got a new Predator and I can adjust for gears and tires w/o touching the new tune that I just put in.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:20 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6 RULES
I just got a new Predator and I can adjust for gears and tires w/o touching the new tune that I just put in.
Please explain how.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Please explain how.
Sorry I ment the new tune that came with the pred.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

I just installed the predator on my 03' 4.8LS1 Silverado, And it was a nice improvement over stock, will put custom tune on it in near future.