PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT sensor malfunction - how does this affect how my car runs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question IAT sensor malfunction - how does this affect how my car runs?

I have an LS6 with a magnacharger on it. The IAT sensor is relocated to the rear of the supercharger manifold for accurate readings as per the instructions.

For the past few months I have been throwing a P0113 code for IAT sensor low voltage. My tuner said when he looked at it the temperature was reading -38* or something like that.

It was a wiring issue that I have now fixed, but my question is what was this type of IAT reading doing to my A/F and timing tables?

Would this be a cause of lost power, or would the pcm have dismissed this kind of reading and used other parameters to calculate a/f, etc?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

When a IAT malfunction code sets, like P0113, does the PCM have some type of fail safe system that just runs as if the temperature were 68* or something like that?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

tom, it changes timing and fueling. you will lose power.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chummmma
tom, it changes timing and fueling. you will lose power.
lol thanks roshan. I figured out the problem wasn't from getting wet after I replaced the sensor. One of the wire crimps from the initial install had come apart.

I re-wired the connector and sensor and soldered all the connections and the code went away.

The reason I was asking is because my car feels like it is running a lot better and a lot stronger than before. I know the weather has been changing but it was literally a night and day difference from the past few months to today after I fixed this last night.

Maybe I should hit the dyno again on the 13th just for fun, since this sensor was f-d up then too.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:30 AM
Launching!

If the IAT sensor fails,

It defaults to -40c so fueling is richened up accordingly. You would have been running seriously rich. In some stock calibrations in the IAT Table, this adds timing.

Quick Reply: IAT sensor malfunction - how does this affect how my car runs?