Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow crapped and did not throw code

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass Air Flow crapped and did not throw code

Just to let anyone know for future reference...

My 2000 Ws6 was accelerating like a total slug, hesitating, surging. Just slow and totally not right. I've read through the archives here and alot of guys had similar problems, with one thing in common.... the thread would end with no answer to the problem. Check plugs, plug wires, O2 sensors, possible misfire, possible air leak etc. is what they all said. And with good measure cause alot of times the problem might lie in that stuff.

Well lucky I have another 2000 Ls1 car. I took the mass air flow unit off of it, and put it on the problem car. Problem solved. Car has ***** now.

I meant to do this a while ago, instead stupid me I never did and took it to a mechanic and he was a good dude and honestly looked for the problem hard and checked fuel system thouroughly and then gave up. So that costed me $160 when all I had to do was swap Mass air flow units. It literally took 10 minutes.

Anyways I thought the Mass Air Flow was supposed to throw a code when it went bad? Maybe its not? Well in this case it didn't and I'm glad I caught the problem before many more hours/money was put into trying to solve the problem.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

not always, when i bought my 98 it didnt have a code for the mass air, but it had noticably lower power than it should. The only thing i could find on the scantool was that only at wot it would go full lean. The mass air was still working, but not reading 1/2 the grams/sec at wot that the new one did. Mine wasnt bad enough to set a code, didnt meet the indicators.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be dirty.
A dirty MAF can cause problems
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a PILE of them that are bad and don't code. They report low but still technically 'work' and the cars are very lean. These cars are easy to see at initial scan because of the excessive positive fuel trimming.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

hope this fixes mine. i was just at the track and ran horrible the car was dying and stumbling out of the hole. pulled a 2.02 60ft lol