Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping under acceleration after bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping under acceleration after bolt-ons

So I've been searching through some old threads and have seen a few people with the same problem I have, although I haven't seen an exactly answer or cure for the problem.

When I accelerate lightly, idle, or am just cruising at a lower RPM, the car runs great and is very smooth. However, when I really gun it I can hear a loud popping noise coming out of the exhaust. This isn't just when I let off (running rich, although I have this happening at times too) and I'm thinking this goes beyond a tuning issue.

I have heard a few people say this is a plug/wire issue, which might make sense as a threw in some NGKs and MSDs when I put in my headers, but if it was wouldn't this be happening more often than just the upper RPM range? I'm thinking I might buy some different plugs and wires and see what happens. I know all of the plug wires are seated well right now.

Anyone have some ideas?
Old 05-30-2009, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add-on:
This is why I put it in the tuning section lol. I'm going to be bringing my car in to get tuned (not dyno tuned) on Wednesday. Will he be able to see if I'm having a misfire or something to that effect? He's a very reputable tuner with a lot of equipment.