Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband Help Please.. LC-1 or Dynojet

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Wideband Help Please.. LC-1 or Dynojet

I bought a wideband from speed hut. It is a sweeping needle, not a digital read out.

But I honestly won't be driving around with a laptop hooked up & probably the only time another computer is hook up will be on the dyno for my tune or to trouble shoot something.

Now from what i understand you need a controller for it. I have read about the LC-1 or dynojet...

Regarding the LC-1... I have did some research about the LC-1 about how they have really finicky grounds? Is this true? Has the problem been fixed? Where is the best place to ground this at? Where does the controller mount? Also how do i do a free air calibration check on this gauge. I know it comes with a CD, but what is that used for? More than likely i am going to my tuner (straighline) install this gauge for me as it seems it is out of my league

Regarding Dynojet... What differs this set up from the LC-1? Why is it better?

Now as far as installing the 02 sensor. In my pic (SEE BELOW) right now on the left side of my Y pipe i have an 02 in there but does not serve a purpose. That is where the 02 goes when my car is on the dyno. Can i use this for either the LC-1 or Dynojet? What happens if i have an exhaust leak. I will need to address this so i get the proper A:F reading correct?

Sorry guys for all the questions, this is a big learning curve for me. But what are the proper A:F readings for the follwoing...

Idle - ???
Cruise - 14.7 (stoich)
Part Throttle - ???
WOT - 12.8 - 13.1????

Should i put the bung for the 02 for what ever controller i go with in the merge (BLUE CIRCLE) to get a better readign? Or will it be ok on the 1 side of the y pipe (ORANGE CIRCLE)?

Last edited by TORCHD 02 TA; 06-01-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

No one wants to help me
Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NGK AFX - super easy install and great product. Very easy to calibrate. If you already have a bung welded in that straightline uses you can use that for the wideband O2 sensor. That is a super easy install and I am positive you can do this yourself.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

You probably already know not to put the sensor on the bottom side of any pipe. It is best if you can go around the side and above centerline. Two and ten oclock if possble and the very top is optimal. Also, closer to the engine is better.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I burned through 2 LC1's with them wired up exactly as their tech support told me to both times. Blew the DAC the first time and the second one the whole controller puked and took the sensor with it. When I got the third replacement in the mail I sold it and bought a dynojet wideband, hasn't given me a single problem and have tuned more than a dozen cars with it. You get what you pay for with widebands.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I burned through 2 LC1's with them wired up exactly as their tech support told me to both times. Blew the DAC the first time and the second one the whole controller puked and took the sensor with it. When I got the third replacement in the mail I sold it and bought a dynojet wideband, hasn't given me a single problem and have tuned more than a dozen cars with it. You get what you pay for with widebands.
The LC-1 is supposed the top of the line.....
Old 06-03-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
You probably already know not to put the sensor on the bottom side of any pipe. It is best if you can go around the side and above centerline. Two and ten oclock if possble and the very top is optimal. Also, closer to the engine is better.
Yes i do know that it needs to be on the top of the pipe. Sorry i was just doign a quick reference..

But like i said, if you put it in the merge you will get a bette reading as you are reading both exhasut gases. And we all know that cyl #7 runs lean too....
Old 06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no on the merge, too cold, the heated O2 is good at heating itself but it still needs hot exhaust gases. Plus the closer to engine better because the exhaust readings will be more accurate.

Put it right across from the narrowband, you pick the side.

Idle - Stoich
Cruise - 14.7 (stoich)
Part Throttle - Stoich
WOT - 12.6 - 13.0 depends on the car
Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
The LC-1 is supposed the top of the line.....
lol, I don't think so. The lc1 is an entry level budget wideband controller. It's popular for sure (mainly because it's inexpensive), but it's far from top of the line.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
no on the merge, too cold, the heated O2 is good at heating itself but it still needs hot exhaust gases. Plus the closer to engine better because the exhaust readings will be more accurate.

Put it right across from the narrowband, you pick the side.

Idle - Stoich
Cruise - 14.7 (stoich)
Part Throttle - Stoich
WOT - 12.6 - 13.0 depends on the car
Stupid qustion.. What is the narrow band?

So where i already have a bung in my pic, should i jsut put it there?

I keep forgetting. What is considered Rich? And what is considered Lean?
Old 06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
lol, I don't think so. The lc1 is an entry level budget wideband controller. It's popular for sure (mainly because it's inexpensive), but it's far from top of the line.
Do me a favor and take a look at this

http://www.paceperformance.com/pacep...ndshootout.pdf
Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

I have a 7 wire LC-1, which gives you a extra ground that goes for the analog outputs, seems to work pretty well, easy to install, ended up touching the 02 sensor on the end with a dirty rag and toasted it while free air calibrating it, guess they're kinda of sensitive...... but a replacement was pretty cheap from the local parts store.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have efilive then you can just hook up the serial output and be damned with all the grounds. All you need is 12v and grnd for the controller and leave all the analog outputs tidyed away.
It works very nicely, no ground offsets and pretty much plug and play. Free air calibration can be done from the v2 handset.
It works with other widebands too not just the innovate, but does make the innovate pretty much plug and play.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am not using any tuning software at all. This is a jsut a sweeping gauge in a guage pod for my enjoyment of knowing that my A:F is on track..

The only time my car is hooked up to a laptop is when i am on the Dyno
Old 06-03-2009, 04:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Do me a favor and take a look at this

http://www.paceperformance.com/pacep...ndshootout.pdf
Good for them. My experience says otherwise. I base my claim from my own real-world results tuning my own and several other cars, not what somebody else found in a brief 1 hour test.