Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 2 bar and boost tuning questions....using hptuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 2 bar and boost tuning questions....using hptuners

when I convert to do 2 bar I use "write entire" the first time I write the tune and then I can use "write calibration" after that?

I have to use ONLY the file I "write entire" or I will fry it?

want to verify this before I go to 2 bar.. lol

for a good starting point for 5-7 lbs boost on 91 octane and stock compression I am going to cut my timming in half from my na tune... what else should i do for safety? was thinking around 10.8-11 afr?? don't wanna blow this motor right away. safe tune is my number 1 concern not HP....

I can post my tune when I get off so you can look it over for me....

thanks!
Blaine
Old 06-17-2009, 06:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I convert to do 2 bar I use "write entire" the first time I write the tune and then I can use "write calibration" after that?
Correct.

I have to use ONLY the file I "write entire" or I will fry it?
Doing multiple write entires don't guarantee failure by any means however if a write fails during the erase portion of a write entire there is no recovery that can be done to save it.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Restricted User

foff667 that's what I needed! someone to verify that I understand it correctly. I have heard a lot of horror storys about frying the computer.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Did you have to go to a speed density tune?

I am planning on adding a turbo to my 98 Corvette but I want to keep my MAF. I was planning on using HP Tuners but apparently they do not have an OS with 2 bar MAP and MAF. I'm looking for a way around this so I can keep the MAF.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 87GN&98VET
Did you have to go to a speed density tune?

I am planning on adding a turbo to my 98 Corvette but I want to keep my MAF. I was planning on using HP Tuners but apparently they do not have an OS with 2 bar MAP and MAF. I'm looking for a way around this so I can keep the MAF.

Thanks,
Sean
No reason to keep the maf, just go SD and never look back.

Also, fwiw I've done countless speed density cars, many of which are 98's and have never damaged an ecu with HP tuners.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by INTMD8
No reason to keep the maf, just go SD and never look back.

Also, fwiw I've done countless speed density cars, many of which are 98's and have never damaged an ecu with HP tuners.
Yeah with 98's you can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately, in fact we are the only one who's even gone out onto that slippery slope by offering a 2 bar custom operating system for them, I believe we coded the maf out completely on them as well as any of the other os's that have a secondary ve table.

I've flashed countless 98's countless times and have never had an issue so that's a non issue, everyone reads about that one horror story and it does give the 98's a bad rap but in reality you don't hear about the other 1000 people in between that didn't have so much as a hiccup with them...just follow the steps in our help file and you'll likely never run into an issue with any pcm.

-Bill
Old 06-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Restricted User

Ok guys my 2 bar MAP was supposed to be in today but go delayed till tommarow! Kinda sucks....

I need to get this car tuned by Tuesday morning! I have to drive across the state to make it to a family reunion! Is it gonna be possible to get it tuned by then, if i have all of sunday and monday to tune?

when i go to convert to 2 bar tune... it doesn't give me the upgrade option when i go to "write Entire" (its greyed out)? How do i get around this? Also do i get the update instantly? I need every minute of tuning i can get!

Do i just use the CPIG guide to tune this thing or is there a different guide for FI? I have an AFX wideband I will be tuning with. I just started tuning my NA when my rearend blew and now im trying to tune FI and im overwhelmed lol. I am willing to pay for any help i can get to get this thing ready to go! I dont have much money but do have some....
Old 06-20-2009, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

Looks like you got this figured out based on your other post, but i wana chime in and say that i swapped my 98 ecu after it got p0601'ed and am SOOOOO happy i went with the 02 ecu.... oh man

highly recommended
Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Restricted User

how hard was it and how much did it cost to do the swap?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 PM
11 Second Club

the swap wasnt that hard at all for me personally, but im an electronics guy.... it cost 80$.... for the ecu

then another 100$ to license the new computer with hpt.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Restricted User

2 bar installed.... 2 bar OS done without problems... just working on the tune now...

Idle- DONE
Power Enrichment- DONE
Boost Enrichment- DONE
VE- Getting there
Main Spark Advance- should be easy

Taking the car on a 800 mile road trip to a family reunion on tuesday morning so i am going to spend all day tuning tomarrow, lol.

I attached the tune so if your bored and wanna check it out. Or if you notice something wrong or have a suggestion let me know.

Thanks!

Blaine
Attached Files
File Type: hpt

Quick Reply: 98 2 bar and boost tuning questions....using hptuners