PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me solve my 3800 stalling issue.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me solve my 3800 stalling issue.

Ive seen many issues like this but they all have something different about them and I can't find any answers as to what mine might be.

I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem since March. Car is a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with only 71,000 miles.

Here's the problem, back in March one random day while I was driving my engine started studdering and finally stalled while I was giving it gas going about 35-40mph. It re-started with no problems.

The next day, while driving on the highway, it did this 3 times in 20 minutes, all while cruising at 70mph. Each time, I pull over, turn the car off and back on. Then on the way home it drove fine.

I had the crank position sensor replaced. The plugs look fine. Cleaned the MAF with CRC. It's still doing it. Next step will be to unplug the MAF to put it into speed density mode.

Here's what I DO know.

-Car restarts fine everytime
-Totally random, can't reproduce it.
-If Im driving and it starts to studder, the engine RPMs will remain stable as long as I don't give it more than ~5% throttle.
-After it starts to studder, when I give it more than ~5% throttle, the engine RPMs will studder worse and then stall. When I give it more than ~5% throttle, my Scanmaster reads .000 millivolts for the O2 sensor display. I'm 95% sure thats why it stumbles and stalls.

Today 6/26/2009 on the way to work it stalled SIX times within a 3 mile distance. Each time it restarted with no hesitation. On the way home from work it ran fine with no stalling issues.

Here is a scan from March 25th.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4728

It starts to stumble around cell 340 while slowing down coming to a stop sign before it stalls.

Around cell 955 I was at a stop sign, starting to accelerate and it started to stumble. I took my foot off the gas, let the car coast (5mph), tried giving it gas again at cell 1007 and it stalled.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check all of your ground wires on the harness and the grounding cable from the engine to body. Ford had a recall a long time ago on the 89-90 Crown Vics and Mustang GT's with the 5.0. The car would intermittently stall out at no specific interval and restart just fine. The problem they had was that the engineers forgot to put in a ground circuit in the engine harness and had to replace the harness on these vehicles.

Search this Thread