PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd wiring issue(long post)Need help :(

Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd wiring issue(long post)Need help :(

I have been fighting what I think is a wiring issue for the past 3 months or so.

2001 ls1/t56 in a '91 Rx-7
MS3 Cam
Full Exhaust
DynoTune Nitous wet kit on a 150 shot
FJO Nitrous Controller

In general the car is leaning out on motor badly. At around 4k rpm at WOT the wideband will begin to progressively lean out until it pegs the wideband at 17.0+. Obviously I get out of it before it sees that lean but I have seen it go this lean before when my tuner and I were trying to figure it out. There is no knock at this AFR either. If I spray the car the wideband stays in check but goes from pig rich(10.0) to around 12.4 at the top of each gear. It should sit around 12.0 for the entire pull. Today we had a track event and I was spraying the car and keeping an eye on the wideband. Well I started having solenoid issues about halfway through the day so I tried a pass on motor and oddly enough the AFR's were mid 11's. Which is not right but its safe atleast. So I am dealing with something that is very inconsistant. On later passes the car would see mid 10 AFR's and on one pass it backfired when I hit 3rd due to being so pig rich.

My tuner and I have made sure the car is seeing the P.E. table, which it is, and adding a ton of fuel. We got the exact same result, the car leaned out hard and I had to get out of the throttle around 5k rpm. Also after some logging we found that the MAF counts were about 15 points too low. Normally the MAF counts are around 46-49 on motor and now it is seeing around 32.

Things I have tried...
1. New wideband sensor
2. Check power and grounds on wideband
3. Replace fuel pump and check voltage at WOT
4. Replace filter/regulator
5. Replace Injectors
6. Clean MAF
7. Replace MAP sensor
8. Check power/grounds to fuel pump
9. Replace fuel pump relay
10. Add catch can to PCV system to reduce blowby in intake

All of these^^ give me the same result. Leaning out hard on motor. All of this takes place when I am NOT spraying the car. Due to the wet shot and a fat fuel jet the nitrous setup just covers up the issue. So all of this is going on when I am NOT spraying. I just figued I would mention that the car did have a nitrous setup.

I thought maybe the wideband was off but the plugs look lean after I make a motor pull so that is doubtful. And it is an AEM which I have had good luck with in the past.

The car isthrowing codes which come and go. I have seen a alot of TPS codes, an ignition code, and I several other codes. Sorry I am not more specific about that, I can pull them soon and post what they are.

Im sure I am forgetting things but this is all I can think of right now. Im backed into a corner with this and Im thinking it almost has to be an issue with the harness/wiring. Being that it is a swap car and I have run into wiring issues in the past I would almost bet on it.

I have checked fuel pressure at idle and it is holding a solid 59lbs. I have not checked it at WOT but due to the fact that the AFR's are in check on nitrous tells me im probably not loosing fuel pressure.

If anyone could let me there insite on the this I and willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance, Andy.

Search this Thread