Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuners sharing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP Tuners sharing...

I've got a question about "sharing" HP Tuners VCM Suite. So far I"ve searched around and I haven't found a clear answer about this yet so any info or experience would be great.

First of all I believe that HP Tuners is the best software tuning tool out there and I am not trying to scam or pull shenanigans. If this is considered illegal in anyway please delete this thread or send me a PM and I will.

I would like to purchase HP Tuners with a friend of mine and have it installed on two seperate laptops. I don't have the need for any additional credits to tune any other cars other than my own and my buddy is in the same boat. The amount of credits that come with the VCM Suite I believe are more than enough for both of us to use. Is it possible to purchase an additional interface cable and install the software on two seperate laptops? If it comes down to it, I will more than likely buy a copy for myself anyways, but I at least have to ask.....
Old 07-20-2009, 02:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jw33
I've got a question about "sharing" HP Tuners VCM Suite. So far I"ve searched around and I haven't found a clear answer about this yet so any info or experience would be great.

First of all I believe that HP Tuners is the best software tuning tool out there and I am not trying to scam or pull shenanigans. If this is considered illegal in anyway please delete this thread or send me a PM and I will.

I would like to purchase HP Tuners with a friend of mine and have it installed on two seperate laptops. I don't have the need for any additional credits to tune any other cars other than my own and my buddy is in the same boat. The amount of credits that come with the VCM Suite I believe are more than enough for both of us to use. Is it possible to purchase an additional interface cable and install the software on two seperate laptops? If it comes down to it, I will more than likely buy a copy for myself anyways, but I at least have to ask.....
No, its not possible,try and look at it like this, the 8 initial credits are free, the interface & our r&d time is what you are paying for. So if you want an interface for yourself you'd need to purchase it separately as in a whole new package.

In all honesty its probably best that way as I've heard of friendships being broken then only one gets the interface & the other is sol...not a good situation.

Last edited by foff667; 07-20-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you both constantly modifying the cars or do you think it'd be something where one of you pays all but $100 of the cost and the other pays $100 to cover the 2 credits his car will use...then whichever one paid the majority of it, keeps the cable and you tune both cars...then if the other person does make a change and need more tuning work, it's not the end of the world, just find a time to get together and do it...

I bought my own interface and have tuned various friends cars with it now...depending on how good a friend they are, sometimes I just charge them for the credits I need for their car, sometimes I charge them more on top of that if they're someone I know, but not really a friend...it's worked out for me...especially since I don't want to do it as a business, I just do it as a hobby, but tuning more than my own car is fun.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Banned

Well the (2) cable thing would be stupid anyhow. Why spend $1k just to be able to tune (2) cars among friends? Buy (1) and put the software on (2) computers. Spend the extra money on something that matters, like a wideband to compliment your purchase! You own it, you can do whatever you want with it. Hell you could send it cross country to people who want to tune their own car for FREE or even a small FEE. Don't recommend it due to theft or scammers but its entirely possible. The software can be loaded on any number of computers you wish. The hardware will be what will hold you up as you will have to litreally have the hardware to actually do anything other than piddle on the computer playing table monkey.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

I don't think it would be a problem for friends to go in together on a HP tuners purchase. Installing the software on two computers is OK too. But you cannot get two cables with a single unit purchase!

Also keep in mind what was stated above about broken friendships.... one person might get screwed.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Launching!

To share an interface is a great way to save a little cash. My friend and I have shared one for over 3 years now and never have a problem. Both of us garage our F-bodies and only drive them on the weekend and on special occasions. It's not like you are going to be retuning every week! If the other person is a TRUE friend, then go for it.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

just one of you pay for the unit and let you buddy pay for the credits he uses

Quick Reply: HP Tuners sharing...