Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mail order tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail order tuning

Im going to be running full bolt ons, Torquer v3 and TSP stage 2.5 5.3 heads. Being Ive got an A4 Ill be in desperate needs of a tune, and being in Alaska Idont have alot available to me. Is there anyone that can provide a great mail order tun for my setup? Ive heard good things about Patrick and Frost but how do they compare to a Dyno? We have 1 dyno in town and maintain strict control over it(aka charge an assload). Thanks guys
Old 08-05-2009, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve (Frost) is an excellent tuner. I won't let anyone else tune my car after seeing him work his magic on my car. It's like it came supercharged from the factory
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

You know I will say two things, I have heard that Steve is great he never answered my email so I don't know what his skills are, the other thing is that a mail in tune can only do so much. It does not take into affect your driving style. Being that you're in Alaska it might be your only choice.

Or learn, become, and be the "man" for tuning in Alaska!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely never trust a mail-order tune on a car with major mods like H/C. I had a cam-only setup with a mail order tune from a VERY reputable place that "specializes" in the mail order tunes (not sure if they're a sponsor or not so I won't say their name). Anyways, it was reading over 14:1 AFR on the dyno. Maybe you could hook up a wideband O2 on your car and get a mail-order to verify what your running after the tune is in. You can get a wideband setup for around $200. You could then tell the tuner what your AFR is at and they could revise the tune again through the mail to get it where it needs to be. A couple hundred bucks now to see where your AFR is at beats the heck out of paying for a new motor if you're flogging it too lean.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 297 Likes on 209 Posts

I think that there is also a recorder made by HP that you also add to your wide band. That you can run the car at different rpms "NOT" WOT because with out a tune your gonna mess it up. Then give that info to the tuner and that way they can work from there. Again though your still rolling the dice.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02*C5
I think that there is also a recorder made by HP that you also add to your wide band. That you can run the car at different rpms "NOT" WOT because with out a tune your gonna mess it up. Then give that info to the tuner and that way they can work from there. Again though your still rolling the dice.
That's the pro version. Awesome stuff. Not the most user friendly software I've ever used, but very powerful software. You can playback an entire session around a track see AFR (with an external wideband), mph, rpms etc. I'm still learning to play with the program. It's definitely not the cheapest stuff by the time you add the software (pro version), wideband O2 sensor and a laptop. I think I've sunk about a thousand into it, just for the ability to tune, which doesn't mean I have to skill to tune it yet!
Old 08-05-2009, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02*C5
You know I will say two things, I have heard that Steve is great he never answered my email so I don't know what his skills are, the other thing is that a mail in tune can only do so much. It does not take into affect your driving style. Being that you're in Alaska it might be your only choice.

Or learn, become, and be the "man" for tuning in Alaska!

I just went through all of my email back to April 1st and I have replied to everything that I have received with the exception of wrap-up emails (the end of correspondence), though any number of things may have happened. I'm sorry you got no reply though.

I like that too, get your own software! If you buy HPTuners and end up lost, I offer tuning assistance via email (and phone if needed). If you own your own software and wideband, someone can walk you through the entire process one step at a time through email sending logs and pcm files back and forth. The forums are here as an excellent resource as well.

If you guys need anything, feel free to PM here or use the contact form on my website. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Frost, do you save tunes from other peoples cars that youve done? I heard you did a similar setup to what Im running and manged to pull some huge numbers out of it. I know every car is different but that would atleast get me close. I have all winter(all 6 months of it) to get it straightened out.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by XtremeDime
Im going to be running full bolt ons, Torquer v3 and TSP stage 2.5 5.3 heads. Being Ive got an A4 Ill be in desperate needs of a tune, and being in Alaska Idont have alot available to me. Is there anyone that can provide a great mail order tun for my setup? Ive heard good things about Patrick and Frost but how do they compare to a Dyno? We have 1 dyno in town and maintain strict control over it(aka charge an assload). Thanks guys
They suck
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Contact Charlie@RPM Motorsports Inc. in California... best LSx mail order tuner ive seen no matter what the combo is. He gets it real close without having to see the car.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Default Tuning

Yes Steve would do a great job for you, Ive been around racing for 20 years and have had, Steve do tuning for me outstanding guy and Tuner.
www.tunedbyfrost.com