Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer?

Does anyone use a netbook for tuning? I know not having to lug around a fullsized laptop would be nice and be easier to handle in the car. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with an external CD drive to install the software, if it was worth it, etc.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using an ASUS netbook, but I loaded all my software on a memory stick and installed it.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PhantomSir
Does anyone use a netbook for tuning? I know not having to lug around a fullsized laptop would be nice and be easier to handle in the car. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this with an external CD drive to install the software, if it was worth it, etc.
PITA... no screen and no keyboard. I use a larger screened laptop.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I use a Dell Mini 9. Goes great for tuning with the long battery life and much easier to lug around. For scanning my own car I dont even use a laptop anymore. I get all the data I need to see on the V2 screen and I can log for days on end with a 2gb SD card.

I can see where Frost is coming from though. The small screen does have its odd moments where its a bit annoying but I deal with it. I personally dont have a problem with the keyboard, but then again I use EFI LIVE and he uses HPT so there are differences there in how each navigate.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by macca_779
I use a Dell Mini 9. Goes great for tuning with the long battery life and much easier to lug around. For scanning my own car I dont even use a laptop anymore. I get all the data I need to see on the V2 screen and I can log for days on end with a 2gb SD card.

I can see where Frost is coming from though. The small screen does have its odd moments where its a bit annoying but I deal with it. I personally dont have a problem with the keyboard, but then again I use EFI LIVE and he uses HPT so there are differences there in how each navigate.
One of the largest differences in the two tuning packages is actually demonstrated here in the choice of laptop as well. HPTuner's interface will also log, but I rarely use that except at the track.

In HPTuners, when you look at a large graphical display such as timing or VE, you can simply click on points in the 3D drawing and move them up and down by hand rather than having to solely edit cell contents. This makes the large screen handy so that you can see a lot of the table (can zoom in and out) and can click-drag parts of it more precisely.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
One of the largest differences in the two tuning packages is actually demonstrated here in the choice of laptop as well. HPTuner's interface will also log, but I rarely use that except at the track.

In HPTuners, when you look at a large graphical display such as timing or VE, you can simply click on points in the 3D drawing and move them up and down by hand rather than having to solely edit cell contents. This makes the large screen handy so that you can see a lot of the table (can zoom in and out) and can click-drag parts of it more precisely.
You cant see the data with the HPT Interface or more importantly get audible alarms set when desired. No comparison for logging EFI LIVE is a lot more capable especially for stand alone.

As for working on tables by hand. I don't do it for VE as the software tunes that by itself for me but EFI LIVE can hand massage tables too. Its all in the function keys rather than the mouse though, which I prefer on the road as its more precise. Also I find I dont need to zoom when the scan tool is live tracking the cells your working on in the tune. For Timing I just let the nice bold blue cross section tell me where to work and its easy enough to just use F keys to raise or lower the data either cell by cell or with blending over a range. I don't believe HPT does live tracking does it.