Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech Problems FYI

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hypertech Problems FYI

For those who have called our shop with the question of: Can you reuse a hypertech once it has been in someones car, here are the answers we have been able to find.

That answer is no. We tried reusing a 1997 and 1999 and know that those particular years can not be reused. We recently spoke to Hypertech as we were told yes this could be done by a customer whom said they had done it. After a long conversation with them and on there advise, we have decided that no it is not feesible to re-use a hypertech since the price of a used one is close to that of a brand new one and since there would be no warranty on defects/problems.

We tried this morning to see what would happen with a used one that was in our shop. To our suprise, it tells you that the program is still in another vehicle. After another call to Hypertech to find out what was going on with this, they informed us that once the hypertech is on another car, it learns that vin number and will not allow anyone else to use the hypertech. It "Locks out everyone but the original purchaser" . To see if we did something incorrect, we took another one that we bought off of a customer this morning and used it on a employee vehicle and again it would not work.

This thread was started just for those whom maybe interested to know this. I know there have been alot of people burned on the sales forums because of this. We tried selling one of our used ones and that is when we found this problem. If anyone has any information that contridicts this, please let us know so we can correct this problem.

Thanks,

Tech Department
More Performance Inc.
tech@moreperformanceinc.com
Old 11-25-2003, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

That seems to be the case most of the time. I don't get why it's not the case all the time.

When I sold my 98 HPP3 to a friend it became locked to my VIN, and I had to send it back to HPP3 to get it unlocked. They don't like to do this I think so they make it difficult to do this.

My Tahoe 99 HPP3 is used, and it was not locked. Go figure.