Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

handheld tuner for a 1998

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default handheld tuner for a 1998

Hey all I have a 1998 camaro that i would like to tune, i would prefer not to get a whole suite with a wideband o2 and the whole 9. who makes a handheld tuner for 1998 (the cursed pcm year!)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know you already said you really don't want the whole suite, but that is the best way. Unless you're just going to do gears, tranny settings and not any engine mods. I personally have hptuners for my 98. With ls1tech, hptuners forum, and Greg Banishes new tuning dvd, including the correct bigger Ford injector tables most people use. It's not that hard to start tuning. The rewards far outway the limited handhelds. I don't know much about efilive, but i'm positive you even get the 98 tuning years for free.

Plus if you ever get out of it, you can always sell all the tuning goodies. Recouping most of your money. From what i've seen they retain most of their value. Verses handhelds.

Anyway, hope this just gives ya more to think about. jmo!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Launching!

You have a good point. Do i need a wideband to tune also?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitly need a wideband. I got the reg hpt, not the pro. I just ran my wideband through my egr and have a perminent mount in my car.

It is easier to hook up a wideband with the pro. Plus it has most of the predefined pids for different brands to log. Also if you ever tune another vehichle, it's easier to move the wideband from car to car with the pro. Mostly up to you on which version to get. I don't plan on ever tuning anyone elses ride.I'm just going to get another wb for my truck once I go into the motor.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There really aren't many handheld choices for 98's our software will do alot more for you in the long run and if you ever decide to get rid of your 98 for something newer in GM you'll likley be able to tune it using our product.