PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hypertech tuners: The probelem needs to be addressed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Hypertech tuners: The probelem needs to be addressed.

So, after reading forum after forum, it has occurred to me that NO ONE has anyway to bypass a hypertech programmer 3. I feel bad for the guys that have bought them, only to be screwed over by the person that sold them a locked one or the person who has knowingly bought one and hypertech literally wants to rape them with the reprograming charge, and a new one doesn't even cost that much more!!! To add further insult to injury, the majority of the people don't even get any kind of performance upgrade doing it, unless they really don't know how to use one, or are just that stupid (sorry guys, truth hurts). Yes I have one that's locked, but the guy never took the tune out and the car has a custom tune in it, making this box literally worthless. Is their someone, ANYONE, besides hypertech, who knows computers, or wants the challenge of unlocking one and putting it back to blank? I know i'm not the only one out there frustrated by this (I want to use it on another car i own). And yes, I hope someone from hypertech reads this, and realizes how much of a price gouge their doing to the people. I can understand $100-175 dollars, but $270? Really? Bite me hypertech. To all who are frustated like me, I feel ya. To all those willing to help or have good ideas on how to approach this issue, thank you. And to the others opposed, well that's your opinion and I have to respect it. Thanks to all for reading and any help, GREATLY appreciated.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get your money back from the seller. You should have made sure up front that he was selling it unlocked.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are suggesting is hacking into the system, which is illegal.
The real problem lies between the buyer and the seller, not Hypertech.
When I sold mine, I made sure it was unlocked, told the buyer it was unlocked, and AFAIK, it was unlocked, b/c he never complained.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They have to stay in business themselves.

Figure out how to reverse engineer the flash process, do an upload, calculate checksums, spend time on the dyno creating a calibration, and then put the data in a package to sell all around the world. Do this for $100-175, and you will have several people offering you a job working for thier tuning company.

The pricing point of a handheld unlock is a tricky business, the handheld is part of the sale, for the hardware, but the main purpose of it is the flash license for the vehicle you have tuned. If you only have the hardware, but the tuner is locked, it is basically like having a box from your fast 90 intake, once you install the intake on your first car, you have to uninstall the intake from that car, to use it on your other vehicle. It is just harder to see this, since it is all 1's and 0's that are programmed into a flash chip and not a hard part.

But I would not own a hypertech tuner if it was given to me, the long flash times really scare me on a processor I can flash in 26 seconds.

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 08-26-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Teching In

I agree that I wouldn't own one either. To the first response, it came with the car. I never met the guy who owned it before i bought the car from a friend of mine. Yes, he should have unlocked it before he put the custom tune in it. To the second response, I know it illegal. I just don't care. What I meant for hypertech to do is that they obviously have all of the resources at their disposal. For them to process the old one through their system CANNOT cost them that much at all, period. yes, everybody has to make a living, and businesses have to survive, but I think for them, that is absolutely shameful on their pricing. That's what my problem with them is. I agree fully that it is in a way an art form doing PCM programing, and NOT to be given away for cheap. I guess my real issue is with the people who are getting screwed, trying to do all the research they can before buying a new or used one, and then the tech support, which is what is really upsetting to me. I just want to be able to use mine, if I so choose or sell it reasonably to someone who can and wants to use it. It's pricing and tech support, and I'm obviously frustrated. I understand and appreciate everyone's opinion so far.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

This thread has got to be a joke. Why should a business allow potentially thousands of people to just buy a programmer to program their car with, sell it to their buddy for cheap just to have it unlocked for cheap to be continually used again over and over. Sounds like business suicide to me.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Found this using google don't see why it wouldn't work. just have to know somebody at a dealership.