Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will HP tune save on SCT tool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will HP tune save on SCT tool?

I have an SCT scan tool that holds 3 tunes, (stock, and 2 custom). I am getting alot of detonation in 6th gear. I have the interceptor scan gauges and they read misfires (I don't feel any though), and knock retard. When the noise that I was told is detonation happens the knock retard goes up on the scan gauge. I was thinking that since my old tune was a SCT tune and the one that is on there is HP tuners (I think) I could save the current and load the old to see if my problem is the tune or mechanical. Both custom tunes were done with a dynojet. I don't want to lose the current tune if the problem turns out to be mechanical.

So does any one have any experance with the SCT tool?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Addict

Load in the SCT tune with the handheld then copy the file with HP Tuner. You can then view everything that was in the SCT file. You don't have to lose any tune files as long as you save them to your lap top.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

WHen you say detonation in 6th gear, is that at low rpm, when you lean on the throttle?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^yes at low RPM in 6th gear is when this happens.

I don't think I made myself clear in my first post. I do not own HP Tuners, that was the program used to put on my last dynotune. The first tune was done on a dyno aswell but with the SCT program, I also had to buy the hand held tool to have this done.

So now I am having some problems and wanted to switch back to my old tune (SCT) from the new tune (HP Tuners). I just want to make sure that my Hand held will save the HP tunners info so I can switch back. I do not want to lose the Hp tuners file and find out that my problem is mechanical and had nothing to do with the tune.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would imagine your xcal saved the stock tune out of the car originally, and unless you restored that tune to the car before you retuned it with hpt, it is still saved there. In that case, the xcal is not going to try to read the file out of the car again, as it should only do that once (first time you use it). IF it works, it will likely just flash right over the existing tune, and you wont be able to go back.

Now, IF you had restored the stock tune previously, it should read and save the hpt tune as a 'stock' tune and allow you to return to it at any time.

There is an SCT guy around here from time to time, he may be able to get more specific...I am not very familiar with their GM offerings.

As for your 6th gear KR, it is not uncommon for the engine to knock, quite a bit even, when 'lugged' in 6th gear...the easy answer is to simply downshift.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tasilver
^yes at low RPM in 6th gear is when this happens.

I don't think I made myself clear in my first post. I do not own HP Tuners, that was the program used to put on my last dynotune. The first tune was done on a dyno aswell but with the SCT program, I also had to buy the hand held tool to have this done.

So now I am having some problems and wanted to switch back to my old tune (SCT) from the new tune (HP Tuners). I just want to make sure that my Hand held will save the HP tunners info so I can switch back. I do not want to lose the Hp tuners file and find out that my problem is mechanical and had nothing to do with the tune.
Now I understand. Good advice from Mike. You could however go back to who ever did your HP tune and have it reflashed. Most reputable tuners keep your file on record.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Mike. I know that the stock tune was not put back on before the HP tune. So I guess it would erase it based on what you have said.

The main reason I find this 6th gear knocking a problem is because it did not use to do this, even after the last tune.

Also my aeroforce interceptor pick up alot of misfires, that I can not feel or hear. Is this normal.

Thanks for the info.

As far as going back to have the HP tune reinstalled the company that did it The HPFactory has gone out of bussiness.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Addict

Find a friend with HP Tuners or any other tune that can copy what you have in your PCM/ECM for evaluation of the file. If you need to make changes HP Tuner would require credits to be used. Of course you could always buy an HP Tuner. Don't know what I would do without mine.

I had the SCT Pro when I had my 06 GT. All you have to do is give them a call and most likely they can send you a tune that will fix your problem. I can't say for sure how just the handheld works but with the Pro you can tell them your problem and they can send you an updated tune to load into your hand held. SCT does have some great tunes for Ford. Don't know about their tunes for GM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Xcal2 will only save the stock file the first time it is used on a particuliar vehicle's vin number.

If you have an X3 device, it will save whatever file is in the pcm, whenever the last operation was "return to stock"

The best option would be to get a SCT dealer with an X3 device, to upload your current file from the vehicle and store that as one of the 3 custom tune positions. The dealer will need to use the latest version of Advantage and an unlocked GM X3 device.

All of the SCT custom tunes, are custom for the Xcal2 device. Only the X3 is a preprogrammed device (and with those devices for the f-cars you can alter spark to decrease the timing)

If you need more help, please pm me

Ryan
Old 08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I do have the xcal 2. I will try to find a SCT dealer to copy the tune. Of course if I switch to the old tune and the problems go away then I know the tune was the problem and there would be no reason to keep it.

I may buy the HP tuners. I plan or going after a C6 in the next year would the HP tuner software work on the newer LS engines.

Also does any one know how accurate the AeroForce Interceptor gauges on the misfires. It seems to dead on all of the other funtions.

Thanks again to everyone for the info.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM
11 Second Club

the aeroforce reads what the computer reads. So its as accurate as the pcm....so yes its accurate.

Quick Reply: Will HP tune save on SCT tool?