Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Brake" and "ABS INOP" lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Brake" and "ABS INOP" lights

The lights in the title above have lit up on my dashboard. I checked the e-brake contactor under the center console to see if that was an easy fix to the brake light and the contactor is fine. Electrical and sensors are my weakest point. I was wondering is I could get some information from those who know about this better than I do. Anything about what might be the cause and what might help. Thanks again for your time and your valuable information.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Are you running bigger tires in the back? Slicks and skinnies?
Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 AM
12 Second Club

No. Right now she's an every day driver. I did go from stock wheel to 18" corvette wheels but that was a year ago.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Staging Lane

I recall having this problem when I toasted a fuse. I can't remember which one exactly (ABS would be my first guess- man I'm a genius! lol), but if you haven't done so yet, double check your fuses.

The trouble lights are related I believe, so hopefully one new fuse will make them both go away simultaneously.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 PM
12 Second Club

I checked the fuses before I posted this and.... no such luck. I was hoping it would be that easy. I checked the plug at the abs module and... Viola, I thinks that's how you spell it. The connector was loose and as soon as I fully inserted the safety clip it went away. Gracias, people.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problems and have read about people pulling fuses, replacing gauge clusters, replacing wheel speed sensors, cleaning wheel speed sensors and have not had any success.

I believe it has something to do with the EBCM on the abs block. GM charges close to $1,200 to replace the module/pump motor/unit. However I have found a place that rebuilds just the EBCM that I am going to try out this fall for around $160.

This problem annoys the hell out of me! It almost seems temperature related too...on a 95 degree or hotter day it comes on more often. In cool fall/winter months I almost never see it.

PM me for the info of the place if your interested as I do not believe they are a sponsor here.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have done a ton of research into this myself and have found out a few things. the ONLY time that you will have both the abs and the brake light on and both are solid, not flashing means that your EBCM is toast. the actual controller module is fine, but a small, unnecessarily small 75 amp switch is the culprit. your car is fine, but you are basically driving around with non ABS brakes because your ABS controller is not functioning properly and this is not a simple fix, nor is it cheap. i also know the name of the company that does the repairs. by the way, it's not temperature related, what pir7tr is experiencing is the early stages of EBCM failure. my truck is doing this, but only once in a blue moon. mine happens about every 3 or 4 weeks
Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheel sensors in front or back if your wheel bearing starts to go in the front it will disable ABS . run a scanner it will tell you were to looklike LF or RF wheel speed sensor erratic
Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

you can put a 50 ish ohm resistor inline and it will turn off the light.
i do not know how this effects the abs system itself.
i did a dash swap and just wanted the light off.
i have a 45 ohm resistor on mine.
no light.
a buddy had his hooked to his gas gauge to come on as a low fuel light, but it comes on when the tank is full too.
0-90ohm sender.... so somewhere in the middle should work if you cant find an exact # resistor.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

have you let your brake fluid system dry out? I did a "gravity" bleed on mine and didn't realize you weren't supposed to do that w/ ABS systems. Mine has been on ever since w/ no functional problem. i'm told that the dealership has to reset the ABS system.

Both of those lights mentioned came on and stay on MOST of the time now after letting air into the ABS system for me.