Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car is driving me NUTS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Car is driving me NUTS!!!!

This week I picked up my car from the transmission shop. On the drive home I noticed my scan gauge kept restarting(hooked up to OBD port) when I hit any bumps in the road. I started paying closer attention and I noticed the car was actually losing power for a brief second then turning back on all while driving down the road.

When I got home I started looking around at the harness and pcm area. Whenever I barely touched the harness I could hear the relays/fuses in the fuses boxes clicking and the fuel pump would prime on and off. I ended up pulling the pcm and noticed some paint had been rubbed away from where it sits so I thinking it was grounding out/arching whenever I hit a bump. I fixed that issue up and put the pcm back in its placed and plugged in the two connectors and now the car won't start.

When I turn they key to the run position the gauge cluster comes on but I notice nothing is displaying in the odometer display, the voltage gauge doesn't move at all and my scan gauge hooked up to the obd port seems to get power because the lights and back light come on but it never turns on to the screen saver or where I get my information that it is set up to scan. I replaced the cigarette lighter fuse and cleaned the obd connector and plug from the gauge with electronic parts cleaner and still nothing.

I can't put my finger on what the hell is going. If I pull the Ignition relay out and barely place it in the pins and wiggle it back and forth the pump will prime most of the time but the gauge cluster doesn't come on and my aftermarket gauges that I have hooked up under the dash to a switched 12v pink wire do not come on either. I set the relay in the pins fully my gauges come on except for the scan gauge, odometer and volts which doesn't seem to move.

I've replaced all the fuses in the the two fuses boxes with those from a spare harness I had out my Camaro. It's almost as if no matter what I try I either have ignition but no fuel or vice versa. When this motor was originally put in we were experiencing some of the same symptoms. I had fuel but I didn't have any spark. Come to find out the ground to the ignition relay in the fuse box was not working. We redid the ground and that solved the problem. The only thing I did notice last night but it's sporadic was the TCS light was flickering.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:43 AM
LC
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on the ttop... in fact 2 problems... the second was a bitch to figure out.

1.- Bad ground
2.- The transmission harness was too tight and the connector was playing games in and out of the tranny.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll check out the tranny harness now. thanks.