PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accel gen 7 or FAST??? Will be selling edit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accel gen 7 or FAST??? Will be selling edit.

Seems I have had enough of gm's ecu and after hurting the stock motor on nitrous car is goung to go the turbo route.

I am looking for anybody who has installed or is using an accel gen 7 or FAST system on thier ls1.

I have not decided on which system I want to go with.

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:39 PM
8 second mod

Turbo good!!!!!
For my set up im planing on the gen 7.
Good luck
Old 11-28-2003, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

It depends on a few other things also - are you going to tune it yourself or have someone do it. If you are going with someone else, I would go with whatever they are familiar with/preferr - since both units would be capable.

If you are going to do it yourself one of the first factors to look at would be price - right now I think the DFI genVII setup is going to run 500-1000 more than a comparable FAST setup. Yes it's a newer unit, etc - but if the fast does everything you need, is the money worth it? That said I haven't used the Gen VII yet, so can't give any opinion on that.

I think with either of those choices you will come out fine in the end.

I also heard AEM was coming out with a ls1 unit - not sure on that though - their setup looks pretty interesting - you would use something like the LM-1 as the controller for the wideband, so you can pick up new wideband o2's for 30 bucks instead of the 400 FAST wants (you have to buy from them, they have proprietized it). Only downside I see is that it can't drive low-z injectors natively, but you could use an acceleronics box. Upside is it can use a MAF or SD setup, looks very configurable (user definable spare inputs and outputs - letting you datalog, trigger stuff on the fly, etc.) - and what I see as the potential killer feature is traction control. On the street you have so much more power than you can use traction is always the deciding factor. A real race traction control could be set up to give you optimum traction at all times. Standalone units are 800+ bucks, so this seems like a real bonus. I know fast doesn't offer it, not sure on the new Gen VII, but haven't heard anything about it.

But that said, both the fast and Gen VII will work in a ls1 - don't know anyone doing so with a AEM yet.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Chris. Only thing I need is price. I have tuned a couple of AEM cars, My ls1 edit camaro. numerous Hondata cars, and a LinkPlus. By far I love the AEM and the Hondata. I will be doing a Gen 7 car in a month or so. I just want to get away from the ls1 edit. I think I am going to keep the car a nitrous car when I put it back together.

I can only sem to get my idle air fuel down in the Injector Flow Rate table. I run my car in open loop. I have read all your and nogos pots and have a good understanding of tuning and cars ECU systems. I tried the main ve x80% from 50 kpa 400-800 down to 0 kpa and didnt make a difference. I also tried the open loop F/A map (cant remember what its caled right now) at 80-100*c from 50 kpa down to 0 by 80% and did not see any difference. If I lean the IFR table (for the ford 30lb inj.) untill I get a good cruise/idle a/f the car is slugish off idle (of course). Any help?????

Thanks
Old 11-28-2003, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Try setting the TPS to enable WOT to 0% for the rpms you are at idle (say 0-1200 rpm). You can then use the PE vs RPM for that range to alter your a/f ratio for that rpm range (should be idle only that low).

So you have used the AEM before - how has the traction control portion of it worked out for you?

As for price, I *think* it's going to be about 1600 for FAST+wideband, and 2400 or so for a gen VII setup+wideband - though don't know for sure, and you will also have to deal with the ls1 interface (I think accell was releasing a genVII harness, and I know a few people have setup interface's for FAST - cartek I think has some electronics for this).
Old 11-28-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Try setting the TPS to enable WOT to 0% for the rpms you are at idle (say 0-1200 rpm). You can then use the PE vs RPM for that range to alter your a/f ratio for that rpm range (should be idle only that low).

So you have used the AEM before - how has the traction control portion of it worked out for you?

As for price, I *think* it's going to be about 1600 for FAST+wideband, and 2400 or so for a gen VII setup+wideband - though don't know for sure, and you will also have to deal with the ls1 interface (I think accell was releasing a genVII harness, and I know a few people have setup interface's for FAST - cartek I think has some electronics for this).

I have not used the traction control yet. I am at 6k feet so power is not too big of a deal up here, although our track does not hoook worth a crap. Will be playing with anti-lag, traction control and 3 step (launch, full throttle shift, top end limiter). Just run the car in the pe/rpm mode??????????? Most satnd alone systems use MAP/RPM MAPS for tune. Usually a cold start/Hot start map. Most I have dealt with have anit lag, 3 step, and nitrous control. Seems the ls1 is a bit behind for being 6 year old.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

No, most any modern OEM computer is much more "advanced" with response to monitoring than any of the aftermarket setups - they were just designed with emissions/fuel economy in mind and not so much flexability.

But I don't think you got what I said above - you aren't setting the car to work in some sort of Alpha-N mode - you are just setting it in power enrichment mode at RPM that correspond to idle so you can adjust the a/f ratio there easily with the PE vs. RPM table - since you are running on open loop (missed that before) you could also use the VE tables to achieve the same thing (though I haven't tried that specifically).
Old 11-30-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
No, most any modern OEM computer is much more "advanced" with response to monitoring than any of the aftermarket setups - they were just designed with emissions/fuel economy in mind and not so much flexability.

But I don't think you got what I said above - you aren't setting the car to work in some sort of Alpha-N mode - you are just setting it in power enrichment mode at RPM that correspond to idle so you can adjust the a/f ratio there easily with the PE vs. RPM table - since you are running on open loop (missed that before) you could also use the VE tables to achieve the same thing (though I haven't tried that specifically).

I have tried to use the VE tables and have not seen any change wahtsoever in the A/F. I brought the values down by 80x80x 40% decrease ant the idle rpm/map value and saw no difference in A/F. I dont think the car uses these tables in open loop. I will try the PE vs RPM table when the car us in and running again. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 11-30-2003, 10:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

AEM is supposed to come out with an LS1 setup but all that I know is that Supra buddies love the AEM stuff but it's more complicated? than a FAST system.

I have a FAST bank/bank system in my car.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the fast in my LT4 car but after seeing the gen7 i would go that route... wwwaaayyy more capability.. its similar to MOTEC with the capability.. it has diagnostics, boost/ fuel controls even N20... really slick box... but both are good... its just the size of your check book that is the difference..
Old 12-02-2003, 07:53 AM
8 second mod

What kind of prices for them?
comparisons please.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Teching In

The Accel DFI Gen7+ for LS1 is priced at $2150.

If you shop around you might get it lower.
That is + wide band O2 but do we realy need that?
If I go for turbo`s or a blower I would get a wide band.

How good the Gen7+ is I don`t know but it has all the features I want for my Pro Touring Vega Wagon.

So all info and experience with Gen7+ I read with care.

Cheers
Erik
Oslo in Norway

Last edited by Erik Norway; 12-03-2003 at 10:24 AM.