Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header install tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header install tune?

i have my tune set perfect and am pleased with it for about the last 2 years or so...my question, would i need to change fuel/spark if i add mac mids and a ory? if so, which way with the tweek? i will be logging fuel trims this week and after the install ,,but was checking to see if anyone has done this and been there with success!!!!2001 z28
Old 09-20-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is an excellent question was wondering this my self. It's funny because i successfully tuned my h/c combo and knew what tables to work in for idle quality but for the life of me would not know where to start for headers because it is the only mod where you are removing air not adding. I think you add a little fuel and some timing but am interested what the pros on here say. I tired comparing my stock tune to my full bolton tune but obviously added a substantial amount of air with a 90 mm tb. make sure you post your mods to help the other guys to. good luck and if i read and figure it out i will post here
Old 09-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Jedi Master

You would probably have to richen it up a little bit and possibly be able to add more timing. This is all hypothetical though.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
11 Second Club

thank bro....mods lid, tune, hooker catback, p/p tb,160 stat

Originally Posted by massconfusion
this is an excellent question was
wondering this my self. It's funny because i successfully tuned my h/c combo and knew what tables to work in for idle quality but for the life of me would not know where to start for headers because it is the only mod where you are removing air not adding. I think you add a little fuel and some timing but am interested what the pros on here say. I tired comparing my stock tune to my full bolton tune but obviously added a substantial amount of air with a 90 mm tb. make sure you post your mods to help the other guys to. good luck and if i read and figure it out i will post here
Old 09-22-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

Modifications that allow the engine to breath better (i.e. removing air filter, installing headers, etc.) have a tendency to lean the car out. If you were tuned to run a nice AFR (~13:1) before the headers, chances are they'll lean you out a bit after the install.