PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code Reader for $39, is this one ok?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code Reader for $39, is this one ok?

for $39.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030

or this one, for $339.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43945

the $39 one seems to have an LED display that's not just a blinking light that you'd have to count.

this should work on my 98 TA right?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:39 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why dont you just get predator if you want a hand help scanner. predator will scan, program, and tune for almost the price of that 2nd scanner. also, if you have a laptop you can pick up autotap or efi and that will be a hell of a lot better then some generic scanner.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
why dont you just get predator if you want a hand help scanner. predator will scan, program, and tune for almost the price of that 2nd scanner. also, if you have a laptop you can pick up autotap or efi and that will be a hell of a lot better then some generic scanner.
Autotap is a Windows based program that includes the cable to the computer right? And can it do any minor tuning? Thanks.

I am planning to do all at once a heads/cam deal with LS1 Edit....and pay for all the labor & tuning. I was thinking of that cheapo $39 scanner as just a temporary solution to this SES light that keeps coming up.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

my bro got one of those cheapies at big lots like $19. it pulls all the codes that generic autotap does (same as autozone) and resets the SES light.

works on more than chevy too.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:00 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by skunk50
Autotap is a Windows based program that includes the cable to the computer right? And can it do any minor tuning? Thanks.

I am planning to do all at once a heads/cam deal with LS1 Edit....and pay for all the labor & tuning. I was thinking of that cheapo $39 scanner as just a temporary solution to this SES light that keeps coming up.
honestly if your going with h/c setup dont even look at that cheap autozone scanner ****. you'lll want a data logger at minimum which is why i say autotap or better yet efi. you can scan codes and log real time data on how your car is running. that'll be a definate plus cuz i guarenttee you with h/c car things will arise and having autotap/efi to scan and log your car will more then pay for its self. you can not tune with autotap/efi but edit is pretty worthless without out them since you wont know what to program and change without having logged data to go by.

your best bet is to invest in autotap enhanced or efi v6. they both come with all you need, you just need to have a laptop.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now, those who know me, know I love gadgets.

I own AutoTap, EFILive, LT1Edit, LS1Edit, Tunercat, TTS Datamaster, Freescan, WinALDL... you get the drift. Anything that can be loaded on a laptop. I also have the LM-1 wideband that I'm going to play with soon...

But I'm going to buy one of those cheap code readers.

Why? Well, I'm cruisin' down the road... Dangit, Check Engine light. I don't want to drag out the cables, the laptop, fire it all up... I just want to know the code. Pull that sucker out of the glovebox, find the code, and go on my merry way. *that's* what I want. I don't want to go in to full diagnostic mode, only to find out that the gas cap is loose (been there, done that).

So if it tickles your fancy, by all means, get it. The things do have their uses.

-Andrew
Old 12-02-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
why reccomend a $400 scanner when that is all it will do for him?

I am probabaly the only 98 owner who has 1 f-body, and owns a predator, but that is because i bought it as a $40 scan tool, and for that price, it was worth it, But i don't see why he should get the predator?

I do reccomend autotap/efi live and the predator is not bad, if the owner can use the tuning. But without the tuning, its not that valuable.

Ryan.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:53 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by slow
why reccomend a $400 scanner when that is all it will do for him?

I am probabaly the only 98 owner who has 1 f-body, and owns a predator, but that is because i bought it as a $40 scan tool, and for that price, it was worth it, But i don't see why he should get the predator?

I do reccomend autotap/efi live and the predator is not bad, if the owner can use the tuning. But without the tuning, its not that valuable.

Ryan.
your right, i didnt pay attention to him having a 98 .
Old 12-03-2003, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, i guess i kinda came off like a jerk... i was tired when i posted that..

I didn't mean to be mean, i was trying to be funny.. but that didn't work too well.

Ryan