Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning School

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tuning School

Well i am wanting to start learning to tune EFI. I saw the tuning school has a course on a weekend, but its down in FL. Are there any tuning schools in the midwest? Illinois? Has anyone took the "At home" tuning course from them? any info would be good.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

From what I've heard it's a good beginners guide. You can find them in the classifieds sometimes. And I think someone else was going to offer a book. Seems like it was in this section, in a thread about Greg Banish's book.

It's not impossible to learn without a course, but it would definitely speed things up.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attended the tuning school in Odessa last year.

Its a great course, and you get a year of free support included in the class. I learned more in two day than I did 3 years trying to figure it out on my own
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I hate to badmouth or steer people away from businesses. I bought the at home course and I was a tad dissapointed in it. I was hoping to learn more about details and formulas but it really just tells you steps to take doesnt really tell you why, on a detailed level at least. I bought Banish's book along with the at home course and I seemed to learn a lot more with the Banish book. I havent used the free year of support or the tuning school forums yet, but I'm sure they are filled with knowledge. All in all, the tuning school will tell you how to tune but it wont teach you the science behind it which is what I was wanting to learn. I'm thinking of purchasing the advanced class in hopes to learn what i want, but i havent read any reviews on it. I might just get the banish DVD instead.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I read banish's book a couple times, and I couldnt figure it out. Maybe it was to advanced for me, and maybe if I read it now it would be more helpful.
what banish's book did not address was exactly how to use HP Tuners. The tuning school does exactly that. It teaches you how to use the equipment you spend $650 bucks on.

Honestly, taking everything out of perspective, If the tunings school book came as the instructional manual with HPT, more people would buy it and use it to its potental.

For me and learning, I picked up much more attending the school than I would have learned going through a book because I would have jumped around from section to section.

The classes are small with about 15 people and there are at least 4 instructors.

I liked that YOU actually dyno tune cars in class to the point of its a long day and we did 30 pulls today and im beat................ and deaf lol
Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by froman
I might just get the banish DVD instead.
I don't know what the home course teaches you, but I would almost guarantee that it's more (or just the same) than you'll learn from the Banish DVD. The DVD just goes over AFR error% tuning and shows you how to use the injector data that he provides.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

The point that needs to be taken is the tuning school teaches you how to tune and how to use the HPTuner program.

I think you car comparing apples to oranges in the sense one "book" gives you the overall sense on how to tune, and the other "book" explains how to tune and how to use HPT.

Maybe if I had a differant tuning program like EFI, Id think differantly. I have HPT so the tuning school and their year of tuning support works well for me.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Launching!

My dad and I attended the tuning class 2 years ago over in Tampa. Wow, 16 hours we spent over there, and in those 16 hours we learned a lot more than we could have ever imagined. Plus we also received a THICK tuning book and quick reference tuning sheets. Definitely worth the money IMO.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BOUGHT THE AT HOME COURSE WITH THE COMPLETE HP PRO & LM2.IF YOU ARE NEW AT ALL THIS AS I WAS AS STILL AM. IT WAS A LIL HARD BUT VERY DETAILED IN TUNING & IN WHAT ORDER TO TUNE FROM BOLT ONS,H/C,F/I SET UPS.THIS COURSE IS BUILT AROUND HP TUNERS.I DROVE MY CAR TO DALLES 8HRS .BOB IS AN EXCELLENT TEACHER!AFTER THE FIRST DAY IN CLASS I THOUGHT OH NO! I AM IN WAY!!!OVER MY HEAD,BUT AFTER THE NEXT DAY ON THE DYNO ALL THE CLASS ROOM STUFF WAS MAKING SENSE.I AM A HANDS ON LEARNER & WHATCHING & DOING WHICH EVERYONE DOES ON THE DYNO IT WAS A HUGE HELP & WELL WORTH THE MONEY FOR ME.THER WAS 4 SHOP OWNERS IN MY CLASS AS WELL AS 3 SAM STUDENTS,1 CORVETTES OF HOUSTON TUNER.THIS WILL NO WAY TAKE THE PLACE OF A PROF TUNER WHO HAS BEEN DOIN IT FOR YRS,BUT EVERYONE HAD TO START SOMWHERE.I HAVE SINCE BEEN USING MY HP TUNERS & LEARN SOMETHING NEW ALL THE TIME.IF I AM GOING TO BE BUILDING & DRIVING LS PWRD RIDES I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO TROUBLE SHOOT ,ADJUST ECT.ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR TUNE SO YOU CAN GO BACK IF IT IS NOT RT & MAKE SMALL LIL CHANGES AT A TIME.I WILL READ & STUDY ALL I CAN TO GROW & LEARN.THERE IS ALSO ADVANVCED CLASSES.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

left of "A" underneath "TAB" punch it!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Does that make you feel better!some of us are just doing good to type!it takes all kinds ,thats why we are so blessed that Jesus loves each of us rt where we are!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does bob from precision actually teach you guys
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys, i so wish i could take the class but i am so far away! maybe i will try the at home course!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
Launching!

The classes are all over you can go to the website to check the sched.Bob did most of the in class teaching with one of the other guys heilping,bob did all the teaching on dyno as all students must make changes while you are tuning.We did my car & 3 others ,all student cars.I learned that if you are h/c set up you need to plan on bigger inj.,my car pegged 109% on the duty cycle with another cam only car being rt on the edge.

Last edited by wantsum410; 10-14-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: wrong button hit
Old 10-15-2009, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skeet Skeet
Does bob from precision actually teach you guys
Yes !
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wantsum410
The classes are all over you can go to the website to check the sched.Bob did most of the in class teaching with one of the other guys heilping,bob did all the teaching on dyno as all students must make changes while you are tuning.We did my car & 3 others ,all student cars.I learned that if you are h/c set up you need to plan on bigger inj.,my car pegged 109% on the duty cycle with another cam only car being rt on the edge.
what website? i went to the tuning school.com and they only have classes in FL
Old 10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

They will be in Dallas Jan. or Feb. I just talked to them the other day. I will be ordering the beginner in home and try and make it to dallas then for the intermediate seminar.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok just to be fair, Im traveling this week and wanted something to read on the plane. I just did my MAF and VE tables so I didnt want to read that again. So I figured Id read over the whole tuning book, but then I saw the Banish advance book in my closet. I send let me bring the book and read it on the plane. I went throught it again and its a very indepth book on what cars do, but didnt tell me how to use HP tuners and tune a car. Wish I would have brought the tuning school book.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

Buy the Banish DVD from Summit.

It shows in detail what steps are needed in HPT to properly tune a GM engine.

How to set up PIDS, MAPS. Also the reasoning behind why certain steps are done and in a certain order.

The best $250 you'll ever spend.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ssvolvo
Buy the Banish DVD from Summit.

It shows in detail what steps are needed in HPT to properly tune a GM engine.

How to set up PIDS, MAPS. Also the reasoning behind why certain steps are done and in a certain order.

The best $250 you'll ever spend.
Or buy mine in the FS section.$175 shipped