Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lm-1 opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lm-1 opinions

I have been doing quite a bit of reading here lately, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the LM-1 - good or bad. I am also interested in any other alternatives as well - for similar prices.

I do have one question though - with the purchase of the LM-1 you would also need the RPM converter correct? Otherwise it will just give you your A/F and I would have to also log data with EFIlive/autotap to get my RPMs and colate the data - correct?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have an informed opinion yet, as I can't seem to get my LM-1 and my car in one place at one time together yet...

Without the RPM cable, you are indeed just logging AFR without knowing the RPM. The RPM cable essentially does a frequency to voltage conversion, and puts that in to one of the voltage inputs of the LM-1. I don't know if there's another wideband in the price range (under $500 for everything) that has as many features. I like the fact that it datalogs, it has multiple inputs (and therefore a time correlation), it has software, and is in a nice package. Plus the sensors are cheap when you have to replace them.

I think it would be fairly obvious when datalogging without RPM, but with the RPM cable, you'll know exactly where you stand.

I hope to be running with mine within a couple weeks. Car's down right now for a clutch swap...

Andrew
Old 12-04-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

The ideal solution is to use the programmable output of the lm-1 and run that into something on your pcm you can log - one of the rear o2's should update fast enough to be free of aliasing issues.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Classic
I have been doing quite a bit of reading here lately, and was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the LM-1 - good or bad. I am also interested in any other alternatives as well - for similar prices.

I do have one question though - with the purchase of the LM-1 you would also need the RPM converter correct? Otherwise it will just give you your A/F and I would have to also log data with EFIlive/autotap to get my RPMs and colate the data - correct?

I have used mine many times to get my AF dialed in. As far as the rpm cable I would not spend your money on that unless you are going to change the AF throughout the rpm band. I have mine at a steady 12.5 (on the street of course). As far as the quality of the unit, it is great!. I did however have one problem. My W02 sensor was over heating. This caused me some grief because I thought that it was the cot kicking in because the AF richened on the graph as the sensor heated up. It took me awhile to run that down but Innovative nailed it in one phone call and gave me a fix called a "heat sink" which I made from copper sheeting. BTW I found it best to do third gear pulls (M6) from 2000 rpm to redline to log AF on the LM-1........have fun
Old 12-06-2003, 07:34 PM
TECH Addict

the rpm cable we've used on vw's works great. Just had to clamp the - discharge of the coil to get a reliable signal, didnt seem very happy on a plug wire. not sure how it would work on the ls1..