PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finished turbo build, first time using HPT, having issues. . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just finished turbo build, first time using HPT, having issues. . .

I just buttoned up my car after a four month turbo build in my garage. Heres a run down of the setup

Stock shortblock with 317 heads and ls6 cam
60lb injections
TC76 with a front mount
2bar SD

This was my first turbo build and i purchased hptuners for the sole purpose of learning how to tune this setup, i have done very basic PE and system changed on bolt on and cammed cars but nothing serious at all.

i followed a couple tutorials and online guides and books and got a general run down of the tuning setup and im just going to take it very slow and learn as i go.

Fast foward to tonight. finished up the car mechanically and pulled the tune off of it to modify. Old setup was a heads and cam setup that did a little over 400 rwhp. Modified spark and VE, changed gear ratio and tire size for current setup, changed injector values, lowered the idle to 850 (was at 950 for cam), basically followed the 2bar SD setup on the help section.

Good news: AFTER FOUR MONTHS SHE FIRED RIGHT UP!!!
im ridiculously excited about this

Bad news: Something is up with what i can only imagine is the base tune.

It will idle fine, wideband at +/- 15.1 at idle, sound great, for about 10-15 seconds. after that the rpms drop and the wideband reads lean at approx 18 and it chugs really badly. if you attempt to touch the gas it bogs really bad and basically kills it.

Can someone take a look at the base tune and point me in the right direction. i have also attached the very short log of the start up

thanks
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
first start.hpl (8.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: hpt
2barSDstartup1.hpt (448.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

also forgot to mention, the "service vehicle" (not Service Engine Soon) light is on

in the 9 years ive had the car this light has never come on...
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to log a few more things. Like wideband, commanded AFR and afr error%. It's probably just way too lean and it's running off of afterstart enrichment at first.

I would add a little more fuel in the PE and make the boost enrich the same for now.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

for some reason my innovate lc1 wont connect to my laptop. i have everything wired to run it through the ac pressure sensor but i cant connect it to change the parameters. i am going to try again tomorrow

ill add some fuel to the PE tomorrow after work and see what happens. i dont want to leave it running long when the wideband starts climbing though
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tally TransAm
for some reason my innovate lc1 wont connect to my laptop. i have everything wired to run it through the ac pressure sensor but i cant connect it to change the parameters. i am going to try again tomorrow

ill add some fuel to the PE tomorrow after work and see what happens. i dont want to leave it running long when the wideband starts climbing though
I'm not suggesting that you hit PE anytime soon. Just when you do, start off a little richer.

Get it logging the right stuff and it'll come around.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

gotcha

what is the best way to richen up the idle right when it first starts up so i can make some progress on her
Old 10-14-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

The best way is to log it and see what needs to be done, then do it.

There are ways to go about it other than that, but they will just be hacks at best and will probably need to be redone anyway. So just take the time and figure out how to log that wideband and do it right the first time.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Ryan, if you can afford to put another $125.00 into it send the pcm to Frost. He will set you straight. He sent me a great initial tune for my new motor and is currently helping me fine tune idle and cruise.