Old 10-14-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Msd 2 step

Hello all has anyone one used or see the new msd 2 step part #8733
Old 11-07-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought lingenfelter one but not big fan of how it don't turn off. Wanted to hook two step to brake switch and line lock to shifter handle button. Need to be able to have no two step for burnouts or at least way higher two step limit. So wondering if this msd will do that job. If it can turn itself off then can put it on brake switch. Don't want chance the limiter would come back on if you had to tap the brakes..

Maybe have to phone msd for more technical info.
Instructions don't really say much it seems.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I bought lingenfelter one but not big fan of how it don't turn off. Wanted to hook two step to brake switch and line lock to shifter handle button. Need to be able to have no two step for burnouts or at least way higher two step limit. So wondering if this msd will do that job. If it can turn itself off then can put it on brake switch. Don't want chance the limiter would come back on if you had to tap the brakes..

Maybe have to phone msd for more technical info.
Instructions don't really say much it seems.
I wired it through a toggle and tied transbrake and n20 through it. All you need to do is add an activate switch.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Msd does have turn off function unlike the 002 lingenfelter. Its rpm based not mph.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you cant turn off your lingenfelter then you wired it wrong plain and simple
there are many ways to wire it but it is very very simple to to put a turn off switch on it.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

You can add that ling mph switch to it but trying have less boxes . You of course turn it off with momentary switch. again just trying to have less switches do it simple as possible.
I still think msd is better in that regard because its try two step.It turns off when it gets under the high setting.

But the lin has antilag which i don't need anymore since now auto and it has timing retard for my spray but really just can take a couple degrees out in tuning not a big deal only running 75 to 125 shot no big shots.

I am not a veteran track racer so thats why unsure what exactly would work the best for hook up of the current line lock and two step.
I don't think need the line lock at the line really just footbrake it racing buddy says and use the line lock for the burnouts.
Then use the two step just for launching obviously not the burnout.

So again was just trying to keep the switches simple . To me two step off brake once its armed sounds fine but if you did that with ling and don't add another addditonal rpm or mph switch then hitting brake maybe in middle of run would slam you into the two step launch limit right??

Sorry if not explaining this stuff that great.

For now not worried about trans brake think of course then would use transbrake with two step and only need line lock if it was somehow still pushing thru the lights.But thought transbrakes held perfect.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

so if you wire the 2step up to your brake switch and set it at say 2500 footbraking at 2500 then it will studder.....after the brake is released the 2step is off...so what happens is Im on the brakes on the top end of the track because im a bracket racer? will the msd automatically not kick back in or what would you have to do to take care of that problem
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Veteran

I just hooked mine up today. Plug and play for the main connectors. Hooked up blue and white wire to brake switch..blue wire .There was blue and orange wire used the blue .The connector with just two wires.
Also we pushed out pin from the connector have tool and soldered two step wire directly to the pin and pushed it back in. Nice and clean. Set it to 3000 to test it worked fine. I didn't drive car though to see what happens when say hit the brakes past 3000 but think since you are not on the gas it won't matter. Also am wondering what happens at track when you do have to hit the brakes or at end of track.. So what will happen .I figured could run a master switch also just not sure the point. Maybe so it don't mess you up in street driving or after you launch.

We need someone to explain this stuff a bit better or I will try to do my own experimenting next few days.

Also put in line lock today but its momentary switch on shifter. May put master on it as could be dangerous I think if it activated when driving around..
Old 11-17-2009, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I just hooked mine up today. Plug and play for the main connectors. Hooked up blue and white wire to brake switch..blue wire .There was blue and orange wire used the blue .The connector with just two wires.
Also we pushed out pin from the connector have tool and soldered two step wire directly to the pin and pushed it back in. Nice and clean. Set it to 3000 to test it worked fine. I didn't drive car though to see what happens when say hit the brakes past 3000 but think since you are not on the gas it won't matter. Also am wondering what happens at track when you do have to hit the brakes or at end of track.. So what will happen .I figured could run a master switch also just not sure the point. Maybe so it don't mess you up in street driving or after you launch.

We need someone to explain this stuff a bit better or I will try to do my own experimenting next few days.

Also put in line lock today but its momentary switch on shifter. May put master on it as could be dangerous I think if it activated when driving around..
It shouldn't effect anything when you hit the brakes unless for some crazy reason your hitting the brakes and the gas above 3000 rpms.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

with the msd box you have to drop more than a 1/3 of the rpms your set at. so theoretically if you have it set to launch at 3k your rpms have to drop under 2k before it can reengage while you are going down the track. i have tested this with my manual on the track because i have mine wired through my clutch switch

Search this Thread