Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling -- rpm gauge dies / motor running

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling -- rpm gauge dies / motor running

I'm having some problems with my stock 02 camaro ss - automatic - 160,000km (100K miles) here's a list

+ While driving - I sometimes get the feeling that the engine is kicking down - a slight loss of power but it recovers instantly and everything is normal.
+ While driving - the car randomly jerks when I step on it and the rpm gauge dies - but the car engine is still running - after a min - the rpm gauges comes back on - but car doesnt run right if I step on it.
+ It also sometimes stalls at very low rpm (ie at lights or backing up into a parking spot) Funny thing is when this happens - I cannot restart the car with it in netural - I have to put it in park - turn off everything and then it starts up no problem.
+ Sometimes while on the highway it just stalls - and I cannot restart it by putting it in neutral and cranking - I have to stop it - put it in park - turn off everything and then restart.

This happens randomly - like once every two days or so

Here's what I have done
- Dealership changed the plugs and wires, cleaned the tb, flush/cleaned the injectors and changed the fuel filter. At first when this was starting to happening - I got the error code for the Cataytic converters (i think p430, p420) - anyways dealership changed both cats - but the problem is still happening.

Any ideals?

I've also noticed for the last 3-4months that the engine will sometimes rev higher when I'm braking for a stop sign - this never happened before - starting happening in the summer time - only jumps up 300-500 rpms - but this happens randomly. Example - I'm driving like 20-30mph - rpms are at 800 - 1200 --- then I start to brake - speed slows down but the rpms just up and then comes down. It does this randomly - like once out of 20 times.

thanks for any ideals or thoughts
Old 10-19-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, if you paid the dealer to do all that work and the problem hasn't been fixed then you owe it to yourself to take it back to them and tell them you are still having the same problems. It looks like they can't really figure it out as they have basically given it a tune up with new plugs and wires, fuel filter as you mentioned but it sounds like they can't really pinpoint the problem or maybe they couldn't duplicate the problem when they worked on it.

Have you put a fuel gauge on it to see what kind of pressure you are getting? I'd tape it to your windshield (be careful *my disclaimer*) and see if you are losing pressure as you give it gas.

When you say you can't start the car in neutral, are you getting it to crank over or is it doing nothing at all? You could have a neutral safety switch problem if it's not even trying to turn over in neutral.

Lastly, try wiggling the connector slightly (not too much that you break it ) on the mass air flow sensor and see if you can get it to cut out or act up at all as you are wiggling it with the car running. Could be a number of things but you can start with those if you are mechanically inclined. PM me if you want.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Teching In

We're having the exact same problem. Please post if you find the answer.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Hello

i am having similar problems

i just put on brand new magnaflow mufflers

4 new o2 sensors

been running good till recently i got the check engine light and p420 and p430 dtc codes

it was coming and going

then i changed oil and i put zmax in the oil and lucas fuel treatment in and then the check engine light came on steady....

As far as teh running fast at lights there was an oring in the tube taht goes into the top of the throttle position butterfly that was bad ....and that fixed thr running fast item

i havent fixed my dtc codes yet

im hoping my new cats arent bad already
Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

after 5 days of solid check enging light it went out on the way to work this morning and then halfway thru it came back on

hopefully its just near the threshold

thanks for any ideas on things to check in advance
Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 AM
Launching!

sounds like a ground problem, had this on a truck i just bought, both frame to body ground straps were coroded, (sp lol) and loose, i know that you wont really have a frame to body ground but i had the same issues with a loose ground.. check all the grounds esp all the major ones and see where that gets ya..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, grounds issue...